Load Checks evry 150 miles?

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
FECC sent out a safty mssg saying DOT wants us to check our load in the first 50 miles and then every 150 miles after that. I have never don.e that, except with hasmat.

I was under the immpresion that only applied to flat bd trucks.

Are they high, or is this reg applied to evry load.

This means on a 1500 mile trip we'd be pulling over 11 times to check the load? Who does that? If you do how can you deliver on time?

I under stand for flat bedders, but for box trcks?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Last I heard, we were not supposed to check on a regular [therefore predictable] basis, for security [national, not the load's] concerns.
Another case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing, sounds like...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It makes no sense unless you are Superman and have xray vision. Can you imagine showing up to a consignee with the seal broken? There are to many that check it and it had better match up.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Paul,
Sealed loads are exempted.

I see its in the cvsa driver handbook, but I haven't looked up the actual reg. To see if the interpretation is right.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
When I was driving a truck we were given seals at orientation, both companies I drove for did this so if the shipper didn't give you one you could put their's on, never had an unsealed load.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's true.

The actual reg is 392.9 - Inspection of cargo, cargo securement devices and systems.

(b) Drivers of trucks and truck tractors. Except as provided in paragraph (b)(4) of this section, the driver of a truck or truck tractor must— (1) Assure himself/herself that the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section have been complied with before he/she drives that commercial motor vehicle;

(2) Inspect the cargo and the devices used to secure the cargo within the first 50 miles after beginning a trip and cause any adjustments to be made to the cargo or load securement devices as necessary, including adding more securement devices, to ensure that cargo cannot shift on or within, or fall from the commercial motor vehicle; and

(3) Reexamine the commercial motor vehicle's cargo and its load securement devices during the course of transportation and make any necessary adjustment to the cargo or load securement devices, including adding more securement devices, to ensure that cargo cannot shift on or within, or fall from, the commercial motor vehicle. Reexamination and any necessary adjustments must be made whenever—

(i) The driver makes a change of his/her duty status; or

(ii) The commercial motor vehicle has been driven for 3 hours; or

(iii) The commercial motor vehicle has been driven for 150 miles, whichever occurs first.

(4) The rules in this paragraph (b) do not apply to the driver of a sealed commercial motor vehicle who has been ordered not to open it to inspect its cargo or to the driver of a commercial motor vehicle that has been loaded in a manner that makes inspection of its cargo impracticable.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
"Within the first fifty miles" you could pull away from the dock, pull over, look in the back and be covered for the first 150 miles.:p

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Seals are cheap and available at most truck stops.

Most shippers will be happy to be reminded that a seal adds additional security to their freight, and if they don't happen to have one available they are usually pleased if you have one to offer.;)

moose

Veteran Expediter
This is correct.
with my old carrier, i was instructed to seal every single load.
that carrier provide me with a seal manifest,(a very distinguish one), and plenty of seals, so even if the seal needs to be broken along the way, the seal switch can be easily documented, and accepted by the receivers.
just go to officeMax or alike and print your self a few of those.
with this carrier, i do flats, and am following those regs to the point. my logbooks will be flag by safety if not.
showing 'on duty driving' for more then 150 mil. or 3 hours will earn me an 'not current on duty status violation' at the chicken house. which is the # one log violation for flatbeds.
the DOT officers can easily enforced this on any truck without a seal, they just don't...for the most parts.
ambulance chasers layers loves that one, and incase of an accident, they will look for it on every little logbook page they can put their hands on, to show you did not follow obvious safety practices .
this can be a big challenge for team drivers on long loads if the load cannot be sealed for some rezone.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Seals are cheap and available at most truck stops.

Most shippers will be happy to be reminded that a seal adds additional security to their freight, and if they don't happen to have one available they are usually pleased if you have one to offer.;)

yes, but Jim, the regs do not require the seal # to be reporter on the BOL... (or anywhere else for that matter).
i used to love shippers hoe do not seal the box.
that way i could show the seal # on the seal manifest and replace it at will.
you do not need the carrier to provide the seal manifest, just print out one that look authentic.
sometimes i will get the shipper/receiver to sign for it, sometimes not. why bother them with a seal on a one 5,000 pounds crated locomotive turbo. but when i hauled those 3,000 diamonds,or that truck load of Hershey's chocolate, they better have their SS# next to the seal signature ... :)

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Another one that is missed.

How many of you actually preform a pre-trip, either a walk around or a full fledge one?

How many of you actually preform a post-trip, either a walk around or a full fledge one?

If you worry about CSA, you better learn what you need to do and how it is on that log of yours.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

How many of you actually preform a pre-trip, either a walk around or a full fledge one?

How many of you actually preform a post-trip, either a walk around or a full fledge one?

If you worry about CSA, you better learn what you need to do and how it is on that log of yours.

I do!!!....when I refuel or go into a rest area i go the long way around the van and check for excessive heat from the hubs/ look for leaks/check tires/open rear doors and check straps if loaded...just a quick glance over...nothing official but peace of mind...

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We do a pre trip and post trip even if it is just a driver changeover, and we log them on our EOBR. We also do a drivers daily vehicle inspection report at the end of each of our shifts. We also do a walk around at any stops. That's how I found a leaking wheel seal a few months ago.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We do a pre trip and post trip even if it is just a driver changeover, and we log them on our EOBR. We also do a drivers daily vehicle inspection report at the end of each of our shifts. We also do a walk around at any stops. That's how I found a leaking wheel seal a few months ago.

When you are using the EOBR can one person log their pre trip while the other is logging a post trip? Obviously you could both physically do this but sometimes system limitations can be a pain.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Well Greg for your Information I DO!! THATS WHY MY but is sitting in CA without a load I refuesed to take one untill I had a new Steer Tire. I won the Battle but lost a darn good load in the process. Doing the right thing has a cost. ( A darn good Load!) But then again Im not going to jeperdise my CDL for a 400 bucks in pay not worth it. I have Rules and Im not going to take chances. Walk around where You are and take a look how many Trucks do you see with thing that are wrong.
Those drivers dont do there Checks. I do But I guess getting accused of finding things oh well. Like I said its My CDL. The same goes when I get offered to take a load thats 39000 llbs and the Trucks Scales out empty at 39,750
its a no brainer cut the load weight or im not going to do it.
Yet the person at the desk say you ought to be able to scale that. I laugh and say No can do. You do the Math.
250 lbs on a liquid load na Im not gona run half tanks and take the chance. Not worth the Scale ticket.

Walk arounds at first 50 miles thats by the book in school. Unless your on a load that you cant stop forbidden.
Sealed loads are exempt form opening the door so to speak how ever some trailers do have access doors called peek doors that one can look in and I got them along with lights inside the box. there are a few Trailers that have a camera system inside the box that they can moniter the freight. Them are realy nice. So yes it can be said one can do a freight securement check if one has the camera system. But if somthing is wrong then well then they have to call the Carrier and let them know your braking the seal.

Stop and checking the tires I do it all the time. Keeps one from getting restless leg syndrom and at nite keeps one alive and well. I call that T&T Ck. The Trailer I Pull got alot of Lights and I am always checking asI dont need no tickets especialy in CA. Not to mention Mud flaps the other day in AZ a friend got a ticket as his mud flaps were more than 6" off the ground the DOT used a 6" rule. Glad he told me guess what got lowerd 3" Yupper the Trailers mud flaps.
when she down on her haunches and no air she legal but inlfated well she was 2" over the 6" limit. No they are roughly 4" Just making sure. Incase they change the Height.
Lights, Mud flaps, air hose chaffings, shocks, tires, seat belts, clean dash, windshield no cracks , spiders ect. Windshield wipers and Windshild fluid is a hit as well. ect. Dirty Engine Compartments
Excessively Greased Components, blown grease fittings, Seals. Grease in the Brake Linnings from Over Greasing. Proper Slack Adjuster play (Break Stroke) Cotter Pins missing from castel Nuts, excessive play in the Steering Rod going to the Steering gear box. Loose drag link bolt a common shut down Item in CA. Yada yada Yada.
One can go on and on.
No drivers are not mechanics but checking the truck and trailer out before during and after and even when your just bored well if you drive for some one and they accuse you of looking for stuff Tell them Yup and its my CDL on the line not yours and besides it beats sitting at a scale waiting for the road squad and a high high high road call to boot.

Ya Greg I do my Checks I do them and do them and do them.

I dont need no Tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!1

greg334

Veteran Expediter
IRT, for what it's worth, thanks for all of that. It isn't hard to do as you shown.

Another thing that many may not know is if you have a cargo problem, the load shifts and in the process you have damaged freight, the seal is no excuse UNLESS the shipper requested it through your dispatch. The insurance company may review your logs if it is a lot of money and they may see that you have no proof of a load check and you say "it was a sealed load" they may ask for proof the shipper asked for the seal.

Has this happened?

Yes.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
FECC sent out a safty mssg saying DOT wants us to check our load in the first 50 miles and then every 150 miles after that. I have never don.e that, except with hasmat.

I was under the immpresion that only applied to flat bd trucks.

Are they high, or is this reg applied to evry load.

This means on a 1500 mile trip we'd be pulling over 11 times to check the load? Who does that? If you do how can you deliver on time?

I under stand for flat bedders, but for box trcks?

This is not new at all. You will even find it noted in the CDL handbook. While it is in there most likely as a CYA regulation aimed at protecting insurance companies, it is a regulation nonetheless.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
What if it takes less than 7 minutes to check the load? You don't log anything less than that, so what do you do in that case?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
What if it takes less than 7 minutes to check the load? You don't log anything less than that, so what do you do in that case?

They never noted that you must log it. It's just a safety reg. If a carrier is reminding their driver about it, they've either been issued points on their CSA record because someone told the officer that they never looked, OR they've had increased claims due to load shifting.