Lift Gate with Swing Doors

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I am having my lift gate installed tomorrow. It has a rear deck extension, but I have swing doors. My locking mechanism is below the height of the deck extension. How do I close and lock my rear doors? Is there a cut out in the extension or does the lock have to be changed? It is being professionally installed by Mickey Truck Bodies in Ocala, FL.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
The installers should be able to work through any and all of the problems they encounter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The plan as of today is to cut the deck extension around the locking mechanism, then cut out that section out, put a hinge on one side and some supports under it. To open the doors I will have to flip a piece of the deck extension out of the way, open the doors and then flip it back down. I'll post pictures when it is done.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Same problem I had with my door/liftgate.

Here's what they did to solve the problem.

The rings that are welded on the pipes that keep the locking system from being raised must be cut off so that you'll be able to raise the locking system out of the well where the stationary lock brkt. is and then you'll be able to swing the doors over the platform...also the platform has to welded about a inch lower than the bottom of the door.

If I were where the truck is I'd send you photos...not the best solution but it beats having you doors loose at the bottom with nothing to back up too, and fork lifts will have to slow down when coming up to the lip.

This is what I've dealt with for over 4 years...it works even though not perfect...PM me and I'll discuss it with you...picture could be available Sunday morning.

hope it wasn't too late!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The lift gate is installed. Here is how we will close the doors.
Pic 1 shows the doors closed and a section of the deck extension missing.
Pic 2 show one door open and the missing piece of the deck extension in the stored position.
Pic 3 shows the deck extension folded up.
Pic 4 shows the deck extension folded down.
The folding piece is very strong when in position and has a rubber bumper under it. One door also has a rubber bumper on the inside to keep it from banging against the door. It is also very flat and will be easy to roll a pallet jack over.

Attachments

• Lift gate plate 009.jpg
    Lift gate plate 009.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 78
  • Lift gate plate 007.jpg
    Lift gate plate 007.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Lift gate plate 002.jpg
    Lift gate plate 002.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Lift gate plate 005.jpg
    Lift gate plate 005.jpg