Lift gate, Reefer Question

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, need to know what size lift gates you folks that have one use for expedite? Does the deck have to be at least 48" to accomodate a full sized pallet? If not what is the popular sizes out there? Also does your pallet jack fit on the platform? I would hope so but have no experience with lift gates. On another note, how many pallets can you fit in a 22' reefer box? Since there is an extra 4 inches of insulation, you cannot fit two full sized pallets (48x48) side by side, so does that limit you to 5 or 6 pallets? Appreciate your input in advance, thanks!

Dianne

:)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
On the pallet topic, typical pallets are 48x40. So you should be able to fit 10 skids in a 22' box normally. You could fit another two in if you turn half of them sideways.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My liftgate has a 66" deck and is 88" wide I believe. Having wrestled some really huge skids of stuff off the truck during FEMA I'd get a bigger platform next time if it's available and I were getting another liftgate. You have to remember the space for the pallet jack in addition to the 48 inches of skid. I'm looking at another truck now and if I get it I'm not getting a liftgate or pallet jack. They don't pay enough premium for the amount of labor required when it's used. They aren't needed enough to be worth the extra money and weight penalty. YMMV.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have a 3300lb 6'X 8' lift gate. We can easily fit a pallet and a pallet jack on ours. Before we bought ours we helped other people and used their lift gates at that time we determined for our peace of mind we wanted a lift gate we felt safe on. Ours has several safety features that we really like. The one we like best are the feet controls, leaves both hands free to control the freight. We plan on moving our lift gate to our next truck. We feel our lift gate has opened may opportunities for us and we will not be without one. Cannot comment on the reefer as we do not have one.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
on my reefer truck if I weave standard skids in I can fit ten skids 8 if they are all put in longwise as the box measures 92"wide, the liftgate is a 6X6' I used to have a smaller liftgate but everytime i used it, it worried me on dropping the freight off the back

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It might pay to check out the archives as there are numerous posts relating to liftgates. Some love them, and some don't. I think it depends on the carrier and how they are used.
Personally, I think they make a nice porch on the back of the truck, and that is about it.
Just too many safety, cost, and maintenance issues with the ones we have had in the past to justify the means.

Just my penny in the pond.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all so much for your responses. You were all of great help! We're debating on the lift-gate now, the one almost installed was too small we realized just in time. We Do have a reefer so figured the lift gate may come in handy for that type of freight, time and exp. will tell... Also, glad to hear that the 92" wide box can handle up to 10 pallets. Course it does depend on the width, Thanks again!!

Dianne

;)