Lift axles & toll roads

moose

Veteran Expediter
On what toll roads/bridges are we being charged less for traveling with the lift axle up ?

i know I.L charged by the axle.
so dose K.S
P.A charge by the GVW.
i looked online for N.Y but could not find it.
what else ?

Monty

Expert Expediter
GW Bridge is by axle ... no matter if it is up or down! I had one heck of an argument with a toll taker there one morning.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I drove an owners truck that had ez-pass for a two axle truck.
I wonder if any of his drivers will ever get busted for toll-evasion running with third axle down.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Zorry, you hit the nail on the head, actually on the sharp side.
over the weekend i went over my I-Pass account, & something just did not eds up.
for almost a year now i have a lift axle, yet the charges on the New York throwAway are the same as they have been with the 'non lifted axle' trailer(to the penny!) ,i looked on their web page but could not find the rates.
so am asking here.
i called I-Pass and was told that I.L toll roads recognized the # of axles, and charge accordingly. the operator could not answer my question about how other toll roads are using the device.
to change the # of axles for a device on the I-Pass, you need to cancel the account, and start all over again, not a simple task to do. you can do it on line, but that will take up to 2 business days for I-Pass office to change the account on their side.
but 1st i need to know the rates on each state, then i can work my way from there.
i have a fishy feeling that I-Pass is cheating a lot of truckers from a lot of money.
i need you guys help to do my online homework, please.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Moose,I think you'll have to declare the number of axles.
Two transponders ? One 4 axle,one 5 axle. Velcro'd in easy reach. One not being used wrapped in towel so you don't get charged twice.
Have fun.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Moose, the rates on the NYS Thruway are calculated based on if the vehicle is over or under 7 feet 6 inches and then on the number of axles. If you were to run the thruway from the PA state line to exit B1 by Albany your cost for 4 axles would be $65.70 without EZ Pass or $62.40 with EZ Pass. For 5 axles your cost would be $88.75 without EZ Pass or $84.32 with EZ Pass. There is also a special EZ Pass discount for 5 axles if your trailer is less than or equal to 48 feet and that cost is $69.13. Since it is cheaper for you to run with 4 axles you can cover your EZ or I Pass up with tin foil so it cannot be read and then just pay in cash at the toll plaza. I do not think EZ or I Pass is making money off of the difference in axles since the transponder is setup for a certain vehicle and the NYS Thruway is charging based on what the transponder says.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Callico

Active Expediter
I can't speak to other states, but in IL you definitely don't want to lift your tag axle to go through a toll booth. If caught doing so you will be stopped and forced to weigh with the tag axle up, pay the fine by the pound for overweight, and then will be charged criminally with theft. As badly as I hate the IL tollway authority I know better than to try and beat them out of a few bucks.

Jerry