Life after Custom Critical

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
1st load for Tri-State Expediting Services was Mar 24th,and last night, the 9th of April,I'm here sitting at home.
I have a friend that once put down his old company for his new one,I can't do that.FDCC was good to me for many years,but I must say,times have changed.
For 16 days Ive practically run the wheels off my truck.From Michigan to Laredo,to Montana back to Dallas,then To Tennessee,back to Laredo,then to Arkansas,and now home by way of Michigan.16 days,7 loads and almost $14000 .
Will this happen every week,probably not,but one can wish.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
1st load for Tri-State Expediting Services was Mar 24th,and last night, the 9th of April,I'm here sitting at home ...... For 16 days Ive practically run the wheels off my truck.From Michigan to Laredo,to Montana back to Dallas,then To Tennessee,back to Laredo,then to Arkansas,and now home by way of Michigan.16 days,7 loads and almost $14000 .
So ..... when we goin' to Henry's ? ..... you're buyin' right ? :p

(Glad to hear things are going well)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
what cut ? (me, I'm a fan of the strip myself :D)

You go Lyonnaise or Yaeger on the tatters ?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
lately I've been doing their lamb chops,but last night had their strip stake.It was actually better than most of the strip stakes I've had there.I usually get their Porter House,that way you get the strip and filet at the same time.Shrimp coctail, popey seed and yeager potatoes

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It sounds like a couple of good weeks. Are you running team?
How does the pay compare? Are you doing much deadheading?
I read about why you left FDCC and thought you got a bad deal. Glad to hear that things are working out. I always believed that when one door closes another one opens.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Ive had 1 long dead head,my actual pay for all miles has actually been very close.Yes we are running team,on the expedite side.have done 5 expedite loads and 2 on the truck load side.For a small company,they have their stuff together.I'm really impressed

guido4475

Not a Member
Sometimes bigger is not always better.On a different note, I have been noticing quite a few FECC straights with just the door decals on the truck, evidence of the shadows of the large FECC decals on the box..Why?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Sometimes bigger is not always better.On a different note, I have been noticing quite a few FECC straights with just the door decals on the truck, evidence of the shadows of the large FECC decals on the box..Why?

We used to get a little bit more money for the big signs, but we had to pay for them. Now we get the same pay with or without, but the signage is free. We have the big signage and like it. We think it looks more professional and is good advertising for company.:)

Deville

Not a Member
Yo I'm glad it's working out for you so far, hopefully this isn't the "honey moon" phase & you continue to run close to what your running now.

I only run door signs. I would never run box signs.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i left fedexcc after 11 years and been here at egl/ceva
for 7 years and is hole lot better being home 90 percent of time
and making more money and home more
in last 2 weeks have cover 3,000 miles and out of town
3 nights

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Relent,just left Fireside in Tallmadge,all you can eat crab legs.Was there chowing down for better than 3 hours
Being home is dangerous to my waist.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
1st load for Tri-State Expediting Services was Mar 24th,and last night, the 9th of April,I'm here sitting at home.
I have a friend that once put down his old company for his new one,I can't do that.FDCC was good to me for many years,but I must say,times have changed.
For 16 days Ive practically run the wheels off my truck.From Michigan to Laredo,to Montana back to Dallas,then To Tennessee,back to Laredo,then to Arkansas,and now home by way of Michigan.16 days,7 loads and almost $14000 .

I know that friend was me. But hey I was mad at the time. It's all good now, sometimes in life you have to move on and it may turn out for the better or it may be worse. In our case it has been great and we have almost doubled our fleet size in less than 2 years. Panther has been really good to us and I will say that I love it at Panther and wish I would have moved there many years ago. Steve I'm glad you like Tri-State, they are a good company and I think they are gaining in the expedite business.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Good for Ya'h.
all the best!

" Life after Custom Critical "
"go work with the Cat , You'd be falling on your feet "

(There's a slogan in here somewhere...)
(a free service for all recruiters/Elogs frustrated solo's/brono's...)
:D

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter

Switching Carriers after so many years must have been nerve racking. Good to hear that it is working out.:)

One Carriers loss is anothers gain, huh?;)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think your right Steve in that things ave changed quite a bit over the years. There are greener pastures as you found out once outside the bubble.
Good luck on your continued success with a new carrier.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think that today's economy has us all looking at the entire business in a different light. Carriers, fleet owners and anyone can get "too big for their britches" and that is when they are ripe for the picking. I am not saying that is happening, but it could be. Nothing is new under the sun. Anyone in this business would be doing themselves a great disservice if they were not always watching carriers other than the one that they currently lease with.

I am not advocating jumping from carrier to carrier every other week, just paying attention to what is going on. Staying on top of things only helps your business.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Everyone must realize trucking of today is not the same as it was 10 years ago.
Expedite use to be a specialized part of trucking,with just a hand full of trucking companies doing it.
In today's world, expedite is being done by every trucking company in America.Do they have actual customers,or do thy just bid on one of the many bid boards?Thanks to the internet,price quotes are changing everyday,both in regular freight, as well as in expediting,even in the realm of the over dimensional loads.
I'm now with a different carrier,is it scary,in away,but I have experience,and this helps my case a lot.Will I take every load I'm offered?No.Will it be the short runs I turn down,also no.It could be one of many long loads,but when I do turn a load down,it will only be because it won't turn a profit.Do I mean big profit?No, not at all,it would just be a loss.
A load can break even,it just can not show a loss.Once you start operating in the red,it's very hard to get yourself back above water.Ok, that's my secret.