Our Life on the Road Let's Talk Taxes

Kazper

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another consideration as being the party responsible for paying fuel costs is picking when and where to fuel up and reap the hidden rewards of being a vigilant load planner.
Oklahoma has a combined fed/state tax rate of around 38 cents per gallon of diesel.
Pennsylvania is at nearly 90 cents combined.
If you are in a team truck running well, you will use 20,000 gallons of diesel in a year.
At a difference of even 40 cents per gallon in taxes, that one smart decision will keep $8,000+ in your pocket every year.
Sure, we can all go crazy analyzing every nickel spent or what that nickel is worth before or after taxes.
I figure ANY opportunity to pay less for anything is a wise decision and an opportunity to take advantage of.
Especially when it is as easy as saying, if I predetermine which side of which state lines is the tax friendly option, I can always save $60-80 EVERY time filling up the tank.
There are endless opportunities to keep that hard earned money where it belongs. In your pocket!

Reactions: davekc and Greg

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great tip sir. We have done a video sharing fuel taxes and ifta and how it may seem like you are saving money at the pump but paying more in tax later. Buying fuel in a high fuel tax state is not always a bad thing. Thanks for sharing the link.