Lessons Learned

AmberK

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Ladies!

I'm new to EO and have been spending hours and hours reading the forums. I have to say, this is my favorite forum of them all. This forum is a gold mine of useful information, so thank you to all who contribute.

My partner and I are considering a leap to the expediting biz. As current contractors with FedEx Ground, we have had the opportunity to own our own trucks and navigate the sometimes complicated and stressful world of being our own bosses. We have made plenty of mistakes along the way, and learned many valuable lessons. As we look back on our experience, there are many things we would have done differently and many costly mistakes we would be able to avoid if we were to do it all over again.

So I'm hoping that you ladies will be willing to share some of the most important lessons you have learned in your expediting careers. What are some of the mistakes you have made that you would do differently a second time around? If you could give a female newbie one piece of advice, what would it be?

Thanks for any wisdom you are willing to share.

Amber

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One of the best things you can do for yourself is get to know your company from the inside out. When in orientation get names and extension numbers to ask questions of at a later date. Talk to other drivers for the company you are leased to including the ones that are happy and the ones that are dissatisfied.
When you hear a rumor (perceived fact by teller) or you read a fact verify with your contacts within your company if you are hearing or reading fact or fiction.

Truckstop counter talk heard anywhere needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Another fact is there is no one company that fits everyone. Talk to as many companies and drivers as you can to get a feel of what will fit the way you like to run.

You all ready know what is like living on the road so nothing to much there. With Expediting you need to learn how to sit as our annual team miles are often comparable to a hard running solo OTR driver. When we run, we run hard and when we sit we sit!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What Linder said: particularly the importance of developing a network of friends who know the carrier you drive for, and can share their knowledge with you on things like where to go, which 'shortcuts' are good ones, which repair shops to use [or avoid], etc.
For more general help, we're always here - welcome! :)