Left Roberts for other Expediters

G

Want to hear from some that left Roberts for other expediting companies. Why, pros and cons for Roberts and the new company?

G

I do not drive for Roberts, but have heard from many drivers that they like to discount the rates. Roberts offers the discount rates to the contractors, and does not take a loss for themselves. Otherwise, they are a large and secure company since beeing purchased by FedEX.

G

Left them in the Fall to go with LEA. Big mistake. Now they won't put me back on till May. Pros: they have backhauls and compared to LEA zero deahead. Cons: You are a number

G

Rick, What are the problems you are having with LEA? I know they aren't perfect (what company is?), but we like them much better than we did Roberts. Roberts swore we'd be back when we left. I told them I'd sell my truck before going back.

G

I am still with Roberts,I am looking at other Expediters.Roberts Wants the tax benefits of having sub-contractors,but the want to control you by penalizing you for going home,refusing discounted freight.The new system they use for vehicle selection for a run gives to much power to the dispatcher to pass over you.They say there are 20 different items the computer looks at before it chooses a truck.This makes it harder to pinpoint why you are passed over for a load. They never have given out a list of these 20 items.I feel this will only get worse since FED EX took over. The only good thing I can say is that they pay ontime.

G

I believe it is a violation of the Federal Leasing Laws for them to take you out of service or otherwise penalize a contractor for refusing loads. OOIDA is bringing a suit against another expediter company for this very thing. Stand up for your rights.

G

Gary at one time there was a ICC rule that a contractor could not be penalized for refusing runs,But I think that rule has never been enforced especially since what was the ICC is no longer in existence,What company is the OOIDA sueing,it would be interesting to follow this one through.

G

This is for Rick and anyone else who cares to hear. My husband and I were with Roberts for over 10 yrs. Yes thats right, I said over 10 yrs. We were there for the best and the worst. We benn thru the REAL good times and we've been thru the Very bad times also. We left because we finally got the craps of being NOTHING but a #. We were in white glove as well as fright side. We made real good money at all times. So you can see that leaving had nothing to do with income. It had everything to do with their attitude that we were nothing but servants at their beck and call. Those who are still there are no better then dirt to them. Especially if you question them in anyway. I could go on, but there is no need. You may have had a rough time with LEA, but my guess is that you were never helped or taught our agent system. It makes a big difference if you are on the mentor teams that we now have. If you are interested in being helped write me at [email protected] I'll be glad to do whatever I can to help. As Always Dot

Joe

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
ACE,
I used to have a major problem with the DVA, but I found out that my frustrations were mainly because I didn't understand how it worked. Once I saw how it worked, I had less problems with feeling that I was skipped over. I can't count how many times I was "truely" skipped over at the other companies I worked for.

On a side note, after DVA was implemented, my total DH dropped by 3%. Doesn't sound like much, but over a year it saved me 3,000 miles!

Just ask your Contractor Coordinator for the list of the 20 things that DVA looks at when looking for a truck. It's no company guarded secret that drivers aren't allowed to know.

Granted, DVA is not a perfect system but which company does?