Learning something new: brokering loads

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Calling on large companies by phone to get some of their shipping loads is a new world for me. Learning to speak new terms like: pallet exchanges, vented van loads, refer loads, lumper fees, trailer sizes, number of drops needed, insurance, and fuel surcharges and more.

What I have learned about calling on the companies that is most important is what the lanes are paying to the trucks and how many trucks can you get there on a certain day , that part is real exciting, well sort of..trying to find trucks is not my part of the job for now, but getting the loads sold is the top priority.

Usually I call the east coast companies in the morning and the west coast in the afternoon . It is still to early to tell in the game how all this is going to pan out, but I don't have to leave the house because its all done on the computer or cell phone. You know, you can go anywhere in your car and do this, you do not need an office. If one wants to, you can broker loads all over the world if you can speak the language, its not just here in the USA, its world wide.

Where are some loads, well , like yesterday, in Alabama for example_ there were 9,700 flatbed loads listed for pickup, 2200 flatbed loads were arriving for unloading which tells you that there are shortages in drivers for picking up loads. You can look at any state or city and see whats there for pick up and see what they are ** paying to the truck for each lane in that area**--- you do not have to guess what they are paying to the trucks and that money is negotiable , you can bargain for more if they are desperate for your trucks and by late afternoon if its an icecream load, 4 dollars a mile is not unusual or more. I do not have to find the trucks, my son does that part, I just sell the loads.

O, I do get paid, but the best part, I'm 5 feet from the kitchen when I'm hungry, lol. Wish I could make me a Whataburger.................well it is 0614 eastern, almost time for phone calls, gotta have breakfast.................