learning how to log

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Hey guys, I have some questions about logging, but first I guess ill say a bit about myself since I haven't done that yet.

I live in Evansville, IN. Im 31 years old and recently discovered the world of expediting, and it seems like something that may be for me. Ive had the same job the last 11 years, and though its a good job that pays ok-ish, im ready for something new. Im at a point in my life where everything has become very stale and things are slowing down, so to speak.

Most of my friends are getting married and having kids, so I don't see them too much anymore. Im past the bar scene anyway, so theres not a lot going on. I have no kids or wife, and as I said my current job is beyond boring. So I don't just need a career change, I need a lifestyle change. Ive always loved traveling, and I don't just mean the places, ive always liked driving long distances. Due to some other personal things, which I wont go into, I am currently in the process of selling my house. Im crashing at the parents now and am saving a good bit of money, when the house sells then ill really be able to save some cash.

There are a few more things I have to tie up in August of this year, so it will be a bit before im ready to get going, so im just researching my ass off on here and finding youtube videos to watch. My plan is to get my class B, get with a fleet owner who will hopefully be able to team me with someone. Honestly the thought of living in a space smaller than a jail cell with a total stranger sounds pretty aful, but hopefully they will have a good bit of expierence that I can learn from. I have to "pay my dues" so to speak. After 6 months or so of teaming I would like to go solo. Anyways, that's my little bit about me.

Ok, the question, do they teach you about logging in CDL B school? Or at orientation? Ive read some things on here and seen some youtube videos, and I understand it loosely, but I just feel like im missing things. Like, ok, youre in service for 14 hours, you can drive for 11 hours. Lets say you drive for 8 hours, then you've dropped your load off, leaving you 6 more hours in service. Youre pretty confident you wont get a call in the next 6 hours. But, in 10 hours you think you may get a call. Are you allowed to go out of service for a while and save those 6 hours for a little bit later? Or does your 14 hours in service have to be straight through? I hope that wasent too confusing.

TDave

Expert Expediter
The 14 hr clock is more of a count down. Once you start your clock there is no way you can stop the 14hr clock. So if you start at 8am your 14 hr clock stops at 10pm no matter if your off duty or in the sleeper. Now if your off dutt or in the sleeper for 10 hrs straight you get a fresh 14 hr clock

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
They don't teach logging on state exam for CDL. If you team they Will teach you the in's and out's. You can split log, if you drive 8 hours you only have 3 hours of driving left and you left out your 15 minute pre-trip and the time it took you to get loaded. If you split. You can take 8 hours off after your drop and get another load but you still only have 3 hours of drive time left. You need to take another 2 hours off before your 3 hours of drive time is done, then you get back your 8 hours of driving from earlier.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Thanks, Tdave that makes sense.

Tobster, I got lost. Are you saying I can drive for 8 hours, leaving me 3 hours to spare. Instead of staying in service for 3 hours, go out of service for 5 hours and I get another 8 hours of drive time?

TDave

Expert Expediter
Thanks, Tdave that makes sense.

Tobster, I got lost. Are you saying I can drive for 8 hours, leaving me 3 hours to spare. Instead of staying in service for 3 hours, go out of service for 5 hours and I get another 8 hours of drive time?

No what he means is that if you drive for 6 hrs then go into the sleeper berth for 8 hrs, then after the 8 hrs you can finish the previous 11 hrs drive time so in this case you can drive up to 5 more hrs.
When my HOS (hours of service ) are up I don't technically go out of service. My dispatch knows that I have no hours to give, most of the time, so they don't give me runs when I have no hours. ....

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Oh I see. Well if youre in the sleeper for 8 hours, why not just give it an extra 2 so you can get another full 11 hours driving instead of just 5 from the previous day?

TDave

Expert Expediter
Oh I see. Well if youre in the sleeper for 8 hours, why not just give it an extra 2 so you can get another full 11 hours driving instead of just 5 from the previous day?

I agree with you but sometimes you have to do the split sleeper rule. Already twice in the last week I've had pick ups around 5pm but 9am drops because consignee wasn't open before then. While past my original 14 I was able to use this rule, with out it I wouldn't have been able to complete run.

M. Moy

New Recruit
Researching
Yes, thanks guys for answering his question. I have not use a Log Book since 2011

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can also continue working on a split log. Like TDave stated or what happen to me this morning. I had a little in state trip. Picked up at 4am this morning dropped at 8am. I will stay off till 16:00, pick up my load at 16:30 and I still have 7 hours of drive time left. But it doesn't drop till Monday. So I will get my 10 straight hours off somewhere on Sunday to watch the playoffs.

Reactions: TDave

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
you can find quite a lot of information on the FMCSA web-site ... Search "logbook examples" and read up

MoneyLx

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Log is easy just got to keep practice and just remember always report everything you do how many hours you drive and if you pull up to get gas remember you still on duty nut its on duty not driving because thats part of fueling and pre trip and when you start back driving you back on duty and if you is in the sleeper just remember to but sleeper and so on and so i just keep it in your mind to keep a daily log i always get a note book so when i stop are do any thing i write how long like hours minutes even miles it help

tseders93

Active Expediter
Driver
Split Sleeper in one of the most complicated parts of logging IMO, everything else is a countdown.

14hr countdown starts and continues till the start of a 10hr break
11hr countdown runs only when driving.
70hr is total on duty or driving time from the 14 and 11 clocks in the past 8 days.

My tip would be to get an app and play with it. (there's free ones so you can save money) lol

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Log is easy just got to keep practice and just remember always report everything you do how many hours you drive and if you pull up to get gas remember you still on duty nut its on duty not driving because thats part of fueling and pre trip and when you start back driving you back on duty and if you is in the sleeper just remember to but sleeper and so on and so i just keep it in your mind to keep a daily log i always get a note book so when i stop are do any thing i write how long like hours minutes even miles it help
By your post it sounds like you fill out your logs at the end of the day. If you do that you are asking for trouble. As you now that you must keep your logbook up to date as of last stays change.