Layover pay

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I understand about being new at this and needing some information but we will always need to know the company you are leased to and if you are an owner/operator or a driver for an owner AND what you drive will also help us answer any questions. You can add this info to your signature and it will always be there.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You got it on your sig line!
Well we are not a B Unit and not familiar with Try Hours but this is how it works with FedEx Custom Critical in D unit.
When we enter our arrival at consignee we are given layover choices. With each layover choice is how many miles from where you sit to the city they would like you to layover in. You are then paid fsc on all miles and .20 a mile after the first 50 to the city of your choice.

Each company is different on how they handle this pay or no pay for your layover.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would help to know how you're defining "layover". Most of us here would say it's when we're waiting for our next load and I don't know of anyone being paid for that. There could be rare exceptions, such as your truck being held for a load that doesn't pick up for a day or so. If you mean holding freight until you can deliver it, that would vary with companies and specific circumstances.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Layover pay works like this. Same can be said for Detention

If you ever see it Celebrate; otherwise which is 99% of the time FORGET IT, your co. (all carriers) could care less about making you happy, only the customer and asking them for $ cause YOU sat. Hmm you might have a better chance getting a date with one of the Victoria Secret Models. If your a female maybee Kevin whats his name?

Just write one, I am sure they would love to go out with one of us. Your odds are about the same. Aggrivating yes, FACT yes.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The only chance you have in any kind of layover pay,would only happen,if you were to pick up a load,and the date of pick u p would change,and the customer were willing to pay for you to wait there,but like Broom has said,you have a better chance going out with one of Hugh Heffners models.Its not that it cant happen,it's not likely it will ever happen.Most companies will dry run the load ,and change the pick up time,cheaper than detention,might pay better than a layover.
If layover your talking the time from delivery to the next pick up,lots of luck

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We're with Panther, right now we are getting 2 days "layover pay". We accepted a load on Friday that doesn't pick up until Monday morning. So we're getting paid to sit this weekend. We had to ask for it, because they aren't going to volunteer to give you extra money. Also, you have to ask for it before you accept the load or you probably won't get it.
If that's what you mean by layover, then that's how it works for us.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm fresh out of doom and gloom so here's an answer based on experience. I'm presuming you do not mean the time between loads, you mean time while under load. As stated, you have to arrange layover ahead of time or it won't happen. As to when, I will ask for layover if the scheduled delivery time is more than 12 hours later than the time I could safely and legally arrive at the consignee. Usually it has to be at least 24 hours extra before there's a chance of getting layover and even then sometimes I won't get it but I'm still going to ask. I hope this helps and if it's not clear let me know and I'll reword it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I too, am on 'layover pay' this weekend. I arrived yesterday afternoon at the consignee in Baton Rouge, to find that they did not expect, and could not unload, the freight, before Monday morning. (It's a construction site, and the freight is the overflow that didn't fit on the t/t scheduled to deliver Mon). Slim though the chances of getting another load over the weekend are, I get paid for giving them up. (Hey - it could happen!) :)

drivingmecrazy

Seasoned Expediter
We were offered a load on a Thursday, 600 miles... but noticed on the offer we couldn't delivery till that Monday. So we asked if they were going to pay us layover- our company said they could not pay it.
Now there are some things to consider... your missing 2 days (Thursday,Friday) for that weeks pay- cause when you deliver Monday the miles will go towards next week. But if thats not a problem- the good thing is when you get to town you can move around and not worry about losing your board position. Must also consider where you are going, is it a hot spot? If not, how far is it to a hot spot? We try and figure it out as best as we can in this line of work- but you never know! Had one of the other teams who drives for our owner go to Miami Florida, and got back out the next day- we would have turned it down, scared of being stuck down in Florida that far- it's a long way to Atlanta!!!!

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Thank you all for the replys, looks like many ways to get it but doesnt look like they really want to pay it. Wouldnt it be nice if they just a had a little better set of rules on when to pay or not, hahahaha. Thanks again

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If we have a confirmed delivery and they cannot accept the freight we get paid very well to babysit it. If we take a load without a confirmed delivery that show we are going to deliver on Saturday, we accept the load know it is not confirmed and the load confirms for a Monday delivery we get to sit on it for free. We look at the positive side of that one we usually have plenty of time to get there, we have time to clean the truck up, do laundry and usually have a nice meal with no worries of a beep ruining our plans. Work with what you have and make the best of it!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A basic rule of thumb is that a load which would cost you the chance of obtaining another load within a reasonable timeframe, (more than 12 hrs, say), is one that should pay for that time. If your carrier doesn't want to pay it, when they are, (or ought to be) collecting it, then I personally would be looking for another carrier. Because I do everything in my power to protect the interests of my carrier, and I expect the same in return.