Laundry

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are having a discussion about laundry and if this is a valid deduction or not?

Is laundry like showers part of your per diem?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
The per diem question comes up so much, I'd like to see Frank make a post about it and maybe some of the other FAQ and sticky them. Might save some members a lot of time.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always considered my per diem to cover misc things like showers and laundry. Yes, I know that it technically doesn't cover it, but it is so very much more than I spend on food that it keeps me from having to claim money for which I can't produce a receipt.

Edit: Showers I have a receipt for, not laundry.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thank you for your replies I was showing a potential new poster how to ask questions and how quick you can get a response.

JBCarroll

Seasoned Expediter
Your laundry ( uniforms ) , like your showers are deductable. But you must have reciepts for both.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Bob, Linda, DeiselDiva, etc.

Laundry is a Completely legal deduction but since no receipts are available you have to make one up. as follows
example:

Date:

Place (T/A Knoxvile, TN )

Washing Machines: $ 00.00
Dryers: $ 00.00
Washing Detergent $
Bleach $> Use if using the Vending Machines in the laundry room
Softener $

Signature_________________________

If you purchase Detergent, Softener, and Bleach at Wal-mat or anyother retail store it is deducted as Supplies on your Schedule C or under Part V other Expenses listed.as laundry Supplies

Showers:

Most Showers are free when you fuel and put in 50 Gallons or More. you either get 1/2 a shower or a full shower on the frequent fueler cards. Depends oin the weather T/A, pilot, Flying J, or Petro
Otherwise, you do get a reciept for the showers that you pay for. That is Deductible on SCh C Part V other Expenses LIsted

Frank

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
My laundry is easy.I do drop off service,but since 99% of it is not a uniform,I don't show the receipt,oh yes,I drop it off while I'm at home.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why does the per diem confuse so many,

it is simply stated that the per diem is for reimbursement of food only, it does not cover showers, laundry and other misc expense.
As I said before, if you fuel and have a fueler card, you do not pay for showers so they are not deductible, but if you pay for a shower, where you do not fuel, it is deductible.

Laundry. if you keep the format that I did post it is deductible 100%
and if you buy from Wal-mart, Kmart or any other retail it is considered supplies on you SCh C.

See the format that is shown earlier in thisl post from Team Caffee he copied and pasted the format I made out from a post I made last year.

Your log book or a trip book is you proof for your Per Diem of the number of days that you are on the road. the rate for 2010 is $59.00 per day, subject to 80% of that total.

Franklin Katz, ATP ,PA, PB
Frank’s Tax and Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086-3151
(704) 739-4039
Fax: (704) 739-3934

Providing Professional Accounting Services and Income Tax Preparation

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matters addressed herein.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
$59 dollars a day at 80% is a lot of food...especially a married couple....they are making out like bandits....government should cut spouse down at least to 25%....no wonder the government is broke, giving money like this away...gee whiz...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
For those of on an EOBR a Calender and the BOL and receipts will show that we were out on the road?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Hi Bob, Linda, DeiselDiva, etc.

Laundry is a Completely legal deduction but since no receipts are available you have to make one up. as follows
example:

Date:

Place (T/A Knoxvile, TN )

Washing Machines: $ 00.00
Dryers: $ 00.00
Washing Detergent $
Bleach $> Use if using the Vending Machines in the laundry room
Softener $

Signature_________________________

If you purchase Detergent, Softener, and Bleach at Wal-mat or anyother retail store it is deducted as Supplies on your Schedule C or under Part V other Expenses listed.as laundry Supplies

Showers:

Most Showers are free when you fuel and put in 50 Gallons or More. you either get 1/2 a shower or a full shower on the frequent fueler cards. Depends oin the weather T/A, pilot, Flying J, or Petro
Otherwise, you do get a reciept for the showers that you pay for. That is Deductible on SCh C Part V other Expenses LIsted

Frank

for 10 bucks a week u can go to Goodwill stores and buy all new stuff almost u need and pitch ur dirty junk, its a thought. I dont do underwear or socks, I just buy new, that bleaching is for the birds, and anyway its cheap at discount stores. Always new and fresh in a package, I am not a fan of laundry mats, but sometimes its a necessary evil. Momma said always have on clean undies if ur in a car wreck, whatever that meant.lol

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
you have one problem

the lundry room is deductible, but the new clothes aren't

frank

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Linda,

Yes if they are uniforms, but only the shirt, jacket and hats are deductible,
you ordered them from FED EX,

but the pants or sneakers, or non steel toed boots are not
you cannot gto to wal mart and purchase a pair of Dickies {Pant and exspect to deduct it. the irs will not give u the credit no matter.
Frank

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Frank,

What if you your shirts embroidered with your company name?

The company could be your corporation name or the company you are leased to?