Laundry

G

OK...I know the White Gloves will have an answer...maybe surface will too? Where do you do laundry? I will not use a truck stop washer & dryer after seeing what is put inside. I just can't stomach the idea of our clothes going in after the grease filled and stinky _________(fill in the blank)& I do mean what you think I mean. Yes, It smelled just like that!! I know of a few laundries; but, it seems that we are never near them when we need them. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
drbna
For some reason people think that just because there is soap in the mix it is safe.

But one issue I had while out west was no washers that worked at a few of the truck stops I was at, so no choice but washing everything I used by hand, the wringing was the biggest issue for me - can't afford a roller hand wringer and wringing it by hand was tiring.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
We have found it helpful to ask the concierge or desk clerk at the nearest hotel where a nearby coin laundry is located. Some are clueless, but the better hotels usually have a list of nearby services

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
OK...I know the White Gloves will have an answer...maybe surface will too?

Just curious why White Gloves would know better then surface how to and where to wash their clothes?

I have found if the laundry room is to dirty I don't do laundry that weekend and keep an eye out for a better laundry the rest of the week. If the washers just need to be wiped down I either grab a maintenance person or else I do it myself.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
>OK...I know the White Gloves will have an answer...maybe
>surface will too?

Well now....I'm not sure I qualify to answer this question as I'm just a lowly "surface person" but I'll give it a try anyway.

Our maid does our laundry daily in the laundry area right here on the truck.

See avitar above.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Could there be laundry training at White Glove orientation?

A laundromat is a public facility just like a truck stop is. You have a lot more people going to the laundromat than the laundry room at the truck stop. I think it's a concern at either place. I did mine at the Petro in Portage, Wi last night. Everything came out great.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>OK...I know the White Gloves will have an answer...maybe
>surface will too? Where do you do laundry?

I am sorry to tell you that the surface fleet will not be able to help you,as our usual uniform of dirty blue jeans and Harley t-shirts would be compromised by the laundering process.
x( x(

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>I am sorry to tell you that the surface fleet will not be
>able to help you,as our usual uniform of dirty blue jeans
>and Harley t-shirts would be compromised by the laundering
>process.
>x( x(

Dreamer
Forums Administrator
Expeditersonline.com
Truckme.com

[b][i]"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

[/b][/i]

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm ROFL at DoggieDaddy's reply too, but if you do want to wash your clothes, Terry's suggestion is the goods - desk clerks at nicer motels generally know where everything is located.:)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you will accept the input of another dumb surface guy,you can use Google maps to locate a laundromat near where you are located.

You can switch to the satelite view to get an idea of parking availaible.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
> I'm ROFL at DoggieDaddy's reply too, but if you do want to
>wash your clothes, Terry's suggestion is the goods - desk
>clerks at nicer motels generally know where everything is
>located.:)

Yes but we don't stay at the nicer motels.....we're only SURFACE PEOPLE! :p :p :p

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You don't have to stay there, DD - just pop in & ask the desk clerk! I don't stay there, either, as I'm not even 'surface' - I'm subterranean, or something, I guess.:+

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I look at the washer and dryer, if they are clean I'll use them if not, I go on my merry way. Umm...unless I'm out of clothes LOL

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Usually I have found the inside of the washer is clean and not bad but that they never wipe down the outsides. If that is the case I just get cleaner from the maintenance people or they will wipe them down. Usually is no big deal. I almost always wipe down the folding tables, that is usually where I have a bigger problem with stuff being nasty.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I found that once I got to 28 sets of underwear and socks, 14 shirts and 7 pairs of jeans I was usually good till I get home again. Walmart is usually handy too, just in case.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Let me get this straight you won't put your clothes in a washer at a truckstop because of the grungy truckers. Do you take a shower at the truckstop where the grungy driver just showered? OK white gloves you don't need to answer because we all know you have your own shower in your truck:+ :+ This is only for us LOWLIFE shower once a week if we need it or not surface expedite people. :D :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's what they make shower shoes for. Unfortunately they get worn outside the shower and show people's ugly feet but at least they do the job in the shower.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.