Launching Fleet for Exisiting Carrier

drive2021

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Hello. I am working for a trucking company that is looking to launch an OTR fleet. They currently have local O/O that work on their local accounts but have tasked me with launching the OTR fleet. Company also has a brokerage division (where I came from) and work closely with many of the top expeditors in the industry. I have a few questions on the OTR expediting industry.

1). Can O/O lease on to multiple carriers at the same time?
2). If so, where do most carriers post openings?
3). If so, how do most carriers handle the Insurance requirements and deductions? If a driver leases on but only hauls a load under my authority every now and then, how is it profitable for them to be paying multiple carriers insurance deductions? Or does each O/O have their own Insurance and list my company as Additional Insured?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You can become a broker and then get loads from other carriers to give your O/O. But I have never seen O/O in a truck work for multiple trucking companies, only multiple brokers. Do you know about big truck load boards? A big one is CH Robinson. DAT. There are more. Usually O/O in a big truck do not pay for their own liability and cargo insurance. You can also hire brokers/agents to find customers for your trucks. There is a lot to get into. One big issue is going to be trying to hold onto O/O before you develop a customer base/reputation. I'd start with 1 or two O/O and keep them busy while building up your rep and customer base. Also, will you own your own trailer or lease a trailer for your drivers? O/O who own their own trailers more than likely have their own brokers they work with and make more money than carriers would pay, or then load boards would pay them.