Last 20 years of Expedite Freight

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Over the last twenty plus years Expediting has changed so much that it's hard to imagine it would be this way back then. Back in 1996 the top three carriers was Robert's Express, Tri-State and Land-Star Express American. Today it's FedEx Custom Critical( formerly Robert's Express ), Panther, and Load1.

As companies have changed so has the technology we use today. Twenty years ago we never thought carriers would dispatch trucks using a computer system like DVA or Sylectus. The systems works and many carrier have came up with their own systems like these ones.

Some carriers have downsized and some have grown. Based out of Green, Oh FedEx Custom Critcal has went from 2500 units to around 1600 units. Not because they are a bad carrier, because the owner operator has more choices of what carrier to choose from. There are over twenty five carriers now, verse the maybe eight to ten back then.

Panther has grown to the second largest expedite carrier with over 1000 units in 2015. They are based out of Medina, Oh. The number three expedite carrier is Load1 transportation out of Dearborn, Mi and is the fastest growing expedite carrier with close to 500 units. CEO John Elliott has set new tones for all carriers to follow. John has always tried to keep costs down for his owner operators over the years and has grown his fleet because of it.

Many carriers have changed the way they do things in the recruitment and retention department because of the Load1 way of doing things. FedEx Custom Critcal is another carrier that has turned up recruitment and retention process of keep good owner operator's and drivers in it fleet.

When leaving Sunteck Transportation as an agent we was looking at two different carriers, Load1 and FedEx Custom Critcal. We went with FedEx not because Load1 wasn't a good fit for us. It was more because it was where I started at.

All of the top three carriers are great companies. You just have to choose what is best for you and your needs. FedEx Custom Critcal fits our needs and we love it.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
20 years ago I switched from an 18 wheeler to a CV, signing with TNT (now TST). It was a bad idea. Not the CV, but the TNT choice. Yet I drove for them almost two years. Two horrible years. After moving to Panther II I realized that expediting people can make money too if they're with the right carrier...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome back Dave....:)

You seemed to have written a nice piece favouring ONLY 3 of the top carriers.....Leaving out XPO and BOLT and Tri State and discounting LEA? I noticed with runner ups of PTL and All State....Bolt is probably bigger then Load 1 if you don't count the truckload division of L1...just saying Dave....there are more then 3 contenders out here...:)

Reactions: Bruno

tknight

Veteran Expediter
And if enforced I'd move it, I sometimes park upfront especially when back parking is full, why take away a space for a tt, when front lots are open. We all do it!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Welcome back Dave....:)

You seemed to have written a nice piece favouring ONLY 3 of the top carriers.....Leaving out XPO and BOLT and Tri State and discounting LEA? I noticed with runner ups of PTL and All State....Bolt is probably bigger then Load 1 if you don't count the truckload division of L1...just saying Dave....there are more then 3 contenders out here...:)
Thanks OVM. I never left just haven't posted because something was wrong with my login. Turtle fixed it, thank you Turtle by the way. I only talked about the top three because I didn't want to make it a long and boring post.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks OVM. I never left just haven't posted because something was wrong with my login. Turtle fixed it, thank you Turtle by the way. I only talked about the top three because I didn't want to make it a long and boring post.
Understood... :)

Reactions: Bruno