Laptops

cj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just beginning to shop for laptop...curious about what you are using. Positive and negatives appreciated for your brand. What features should I look for? What accessories will I need to be able to run from my truck (besides PNV capabilites)? I'm not real smart with the computer stuff so speak in terms I can understand LOL. Anyone ever bought tech stuff off ebay? Any input greatly appreciated. :)

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Connie,

The equipment you will depend on what you want to do with it and how much room in the van you have.

I hate my computer. It has crashed more than a Ted Kennedy Driving School grad. Nothing but problems (It is a Compaq Presario 1694 If you get one be sure to put Compaqs tech support on your speed dial.)

The only ladtop I have heard nothing but good things about is Dell. If I were you I would look into a Dell (heres the part you tell the guy at the store) with AT LEAST a Pentium II processor, no less than 500 mhz, AT LEAST a 2 gigabyte hard drive and at least 64 MB of RAM. (The kid at the store will know what you are talking about..lol)

I started out small, gathering software and add ons as you go. Check on Park and view and a national ISP (Internet service Provider, like AOL)
I use both AOL and PnV in conjunction, they kinda back up each other.

In a few months Park and View is coming out with a wireless ISP (Internet without the telephone line, much faster, you will be able to access the net from a 1/2 mile away from the truckstop.)

Whatever you get make sure your digital camera will work with it. :)

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/User_files/38f92e5914747e0c.jpg

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
My Soft Spot

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/User_files/38f6ab916b891a19.jpg
Lawrence McCord

I purchased an off-brand Umax Laptop (their better known for their scanners). Moderatly priced for about $1500 - from Best Buy. It has all the bells & whistles of a $2k model.

I was just reading the most recent Consumer Reports and it listed The top ten as;

1. IBM ThinkPad $2099
2. Sony Vaio $2399
3. Dell Inspiro $2053
4. Compaq Presario $2399
5. Gateway Solo $1999
6. HP Pavilion $2300
7. Compaq 1694 $2099
8. Toshiba Satell $1499
9. Sony PCG $2298
10.eMachines $999

My suggestions:

Buy an inverter
Buy an extended warranty
Get an TFT Display ( Is clear at an angle)
Get a "Quality" Modem (Rockwell, 3M)
2 Thumbs up for a Intel processor!!

Good Luck!

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

Trucker Matt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Slaptop

CJ, We have been using a Compaq Presario 1675 for about a year now. All in all it works pretty good. The thing I like most about this computer is that it has a very large screen for a laptop. The 380 mhz I have is a little too slow, especially when using the DVD player. Definitely get at least 500 mhz. As far as crashes go, this one does crash a lot, but I'm not sure it is the computer's fault. A stock market charting program I run causes a lot of crashes, so I have learned to run it by itself to minimize problems. I think that Windows causes a lot of problems too.
We also use PNV internet and AOL, we can hookup to the internet just about anywhere in the US and Canada,truckstops, truckstop restaurants, motels, relatives places and so on. The total cost is about $35/month and well worth it.
I also bought a Canon BJC-80 printer. It is a small, portable color printer/scanner. I highly recommend it, very handy.
IF you are going to finance it, there are some pretty wild options out there. We bought our computer, financed 100% through Best Buy. The first two years are interest free! We had the cash to buy it outright, but this way we got to keep our money longer - we'll pay it off before the interest kicks in.
I've heard good things about both Gateway and Dell computers and I've heard (don't know if its true) that Roberts drivers get a discount on Gateways. Good Luck!