Laptop E-Mail

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
As a relatively novice user, I failed to understand why I could receive but not send E-Mail via my new wi-fi equipped laptop. I now realize that I must manage my mail, while I'm on the road, from accounts such as Expedite Mail, Yahoo Mail ot G-Mail.

Does anyone have any ideas on the optimum way for me to handle a mail account while on the road?

roadweazel

Expert Expediter
If your using outlook make sure your serecity settings are right, but other than that i recommed gmail. with your Gamil account you have G- Calender, spread sheets. with the new downloadable Gmail for mobile devices. The Calender is great lets you give who \ever you want to view it. I put my hours i work to let freinds and family know what im up to. You can veiw your mail from any computer. For all the info on Gmail visit http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en/about.html

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Terry,
If you have your home internet access from Cable or DSL, usually if you take the laptop ‘off network’ or use another internet access point you can not reach your outgoing email server – hence not send any email. This is normal. If you can reach your outgoing email server, than it is a bad thing.

A simple explanation for you not getting to send any email from the road is that this is a network security feature where the outgoing email is behind a ‘Firewall’ to protect it from creating email spam and being hacked. Being behind a 'firewall', you naturally can't reach the server from outside.

Hope this helps.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You might notice that some people have e-mail addresses like [email protected] or [email protected]. Those are web-based e-mail services, meaning that your e-mail server resides on the service provider's server and not on your computer.

The advantage is you can access your e-mail anywhere you can get online, with any computer. It is also possible to download all your e-mail to your computer and store it there if you wish. With that option, you have the choice of removing your e-mail from the web server or leaving it there a a backup. The disadvantage is speed. If you have a slow internet connection, your e-mail will be slow too.

Diane and I have been using Yahoo for years. The service is free of charge or you can pay a nominal fee for additional benefits, which we do. What I like most about Yahoo! is their highly effective spam blocker. While an occasional offensive message will sneak through once in a while, most are blocked. That quality of life enhancement is well worth the nominal fee.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have yahoo email for general use and I set up a gmail account for my ham radio email activity. I haven't used an ISP email account in years primarily because if/when you change ISP's your email account changes too and you have to go to a lot of work to change it over. This way if I decide to switch from cable to dish to whatever I don't have to do anything with my email. If gmail is still requiring an invitation to join and you want to get gmail let me know. I have plenty of them and will send you one.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
The reason that you cannot send email is that pop servers (email) are used by internet companies to ssend email. If you are not connected to the internet service, then you cannot use their outgoing mail server to send your mail WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION. This is done in an effort to control spammers. Someone cannot just connect to earthlink and send 5 million emails without the possibility of losing their internet access and facing charges, if they are a earthlink customer. Most internet companies have a separate email server for their customers to use if they are NOT connected to the service....if you need settings please send me a pm and I will be happy to help you. I use outlook express and manage all my email accounts in the program. And yes i Did this for a living bepfer I drove truck ( technical support manager for Earthlink for 5 years) Personally I would rather use OE than any server that is NOT in my control to store my mail on, as I keep so many things in email. They lose it(and it does happen) there is no recourse. I know i back up and burn cd's of my mail frequently. It is nice being able to open my email program and send and receive no matter how i cam connected wifi-internet card- or ethernet. No changes ever have to be made.

-Charlotte

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Ok after I stopped laughing,,,,then crying....cause I actually lost my job to a technical support manager in India....got tired of the IT industry cause EVERYTHING is outsourced now....just read Motorola hired 4000 programmers in INDIA to program their new cell phones...bye bye us jobs.

-Charlotte

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
I had the same problem with my outlook express e mail. I went to my local service provider and it took about 30 seconds for him to fix the problem. I was just there last week with a new computer and they did it again. I dont know what he did, but if a geek in a small town in a wilderness area can figure it out, anyone can.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Hello everyone,This Is a little off the subject but I'm curious how many of you If any use Firefox as there browser when on the road??? Thanks...

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Hello everyone,This Is a little off the subject but I'm
>curious how many of you If any use Firefox as there browser
>when on the road??? Thanks...

Got Firefox

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
Firefox forever!! I recently downloaded IE7 as soon as it became available. I have used it 3 times. It's a poor imitation of Firefox. I love how firefox doesn't let anything happen behind the scene without you knowing about it and you can erase all traces of your surfing when you close the browser. I guess that says something about my surfing doesn't it?
get it here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/ and it's free!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My son in law, the computer nerd-genius, installed Firefox on my desktop, because he says it's waaay superior. He didn't, unfortunately, have time to show me how it works, so I don't use it right now. But, hey - 'it's on my list'! :7
PS After almost 18 months with my laptop, I only discovered yesterday that it will burn CDs - I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but I'll get there. Eventually...