Koni Shocks

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Need some input from any of the Van guys who have tried Koni or Monroe Shocks, and how they like them.
What kind of differences have you noticed over a stock shock.

I have had a small vibration in my steering wheel since the conception of the PackVan that I cannot get out. New tires, Balancing, Centrematics, had front end checked by several Ford Dealerships and all say everything is tight.

I delivered to a small Ford dealership in Kansas City this morning and told him the problem I was having. He didn't blink an eye and told me to go get a good set of Monroe Gas shocks and that would clear up my problem. Said he had seen it before with the E350 vans.

I started researching Shocks and found that Koni makes a RV rated shock for the E350 motorhomes. Maybe this would be the way to go?

I'm just not sure which way to go, but at $112.00 ea. I want to be sure I make the best choice.

Any input from you guys would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't know about Koni's for RVs, I used monroes with a lot of luck.

Shocks are important.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I installed Koni shocks and struts on my Sprinter. It's detailed, along with a ton of unrelated stuff, here:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID16/1814.html

Problem with Monroe shocks, which are good shocks, is that have to be replaced about every 60,000 miles. Koni's are guaranteed for life. And they're better shocks. They're adjustable and hydraulic.

I've never had really high end shocks like Koni's before, and now that I have, I can't imagine going with something else. Honestly, I had always bought Monroe shocks, and liked them, until they wore out. I really like the idea of paying a little more for the Koni's, and not having to replace them every 6-8 months.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the input. Have you ever experienced a steering wheel shimmy from bad shocks?

Danny

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes, on a few of the E350 cubes this was a problem, on one we rebuilt the entire front end except for the shocks, new tires directly from Ford as a matched set of 6 - put the shocks on and the problem went away.

As for Monroe's gasmatics, do they still have their life time guarantee?

The last time I exchanged some was about 6 years ago after I ripped one off the mount on my Dodge 2500. I keep a set in my collection for the dodge because i got them cheap.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On my old Ford I had that
Shimmy, Shimmy Ko-Ko Bop.
Installed new shocks
and that Shimmy it went stop.

Monroe Reflex Shocks and Struts
Monroe Sensa-Trac Shocks and Struts
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

are all warranted for life when used on private passenger cars and light duty trucks under normal operating conditions. "This warranty does not apply to products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes."

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
Danny

I want to recall that Ford had two technical service bulletins that may apply. One was steering wheel nibble above 45 MPH. The other was harshness or vibration after wheel balance.

Hope things are going good for you and your family. We have been out of service since the 16th attending the tractor show and spending a week with daughter and grandkids. Been pulling up carpet and installing hardwood flooring for her so I need to go back in service so I can get some rest lol. Planning on doing that the first of the month so maybe we will cross paths soon. Later!

Dieseldoctor