Knee's hurt?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to suffer from truck drivers knee....
Look down at your thigh...There are 3 muscles that run down the thigh and attach to the knee cap...inside, outside and middle....what happens is the inside muscle gets weak from lack of use and the other muscles start to pull the bone off to one side causing friction in the knee socket itself damaging the cartledge and creating bone spurs.... very painful
solution exercise.....sit it a chair and swing your knee cap like a pendulum straight back and forth....Put an ankle weight on and do this everyday...the idea is to strengthen ALL the muscles back to evenness....I had extreme pain in my knees, I now have none....You CAN avoid the surgery....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can avoid the surgery IF you still have cartilage in your knee. Once that is gone, it's gone. Exercise go a LONG way in knee support. It can stop or minimize several problems, like knees buckling. Weight loss helps knees. At some point though, if the cartilage is gone you will have to make a choice, deal with the pain or get it replaced. No amount of exercise can change that. I hope to hold off till I am 65. Bone on bone hurts so only time will tell.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
correct....I corrected the problem before it became a major cartilage problem...and permanent damage....the other problem and we probably all do it is jumping from the cab and maybe even the tailgate....that and being overweight is a knee killer...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
correct....I corrected the problem before it became a major cartilage problem...and permanent damage....the other problem and we probably all do it is jumping from the cab and maybe even the tailgate....that and being overweight is a knee killer...

Well, I have severe osteo-arthritis in both knees. FAR too many hockey games, baseball games, forest fires, structure fires, sticky mud marshes have done their damage. My exercises have drastically cut down on the buckling. Nothing can help the aurther.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
The slightest wearing of the heels of my boots or shoes make my knees ache. Fix the heels, and knees are great. There are many simple solutions if we can figure them out before permanent damage.

eb

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
My knee pain was a bit confusing, bit I finally figured it out. Once I started losing weight I hadnt thought about my feet. I went from a wide width 8 1/2 down to a regar width 7 with a high arch. Shoes replaced and i am doing great. I even walked all of MATS with no problem this year.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The slightest wearing of the heels of my boots or shoes make my knees ache. Fix the heels, and knees are great. There are many simple solutions if we can figure them out before permanent damage.

eb

Thats kind of the same thing I described earlier...those bad heels cause an imbalance in the way the muscles pull thru from calf attach to knee cap...causes it to pull to one side...out of alignment lets say....

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I found a few years ago that good foot beds in work boots or shoes help. In fact you can buy the walmart specials, go to a Red Wing shoe outlet throw in a set of footbeds in place of the insoles and this helps allot.
Shoes and boots play allot if you can find a shoe repair person yes they are still arround ask a dibettic, foot doctor, or a chiropractor they usualy have a couple names. 99.9% of the population both men and women have one leg longer than the other. As little as 32nd of an inch can throw things off.

I grew up in the construction business, and the truckiing business is no easier on the body than construction. I see a good Chiropractor when I do somthing stupid and a couple times a year for a tune up kinda like getting a PM or an alingment on a regular basis. A good one can keep you comfortable and in business Also you can put off going under the knife or taking narcotics.
PM me if you want a few tips on finding a good one.
Bob Wolf

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Several of my mom's neighbors and friends have had knee replacements over the last few years. They have all had the "stryker" knee replacements and all of them have done well.

Mom had one knee done last year. Her recovery period took quite a bit longer than the others, but she is doing great with it now. She needs the other one replaced. She is trying to build up the courage after the last one...lol. I think she'll actually do better the next time, but I know the mindset is tough to break. The therapy and recovery begins immediately (same day or next day after surgery). It is painful and strenuous. Some actually do both knees at once...that's a tough gamble, but if you can handle it, probably the way to go. We weren't sure mom was strong enough to do both at once though.

At least in our circle of friends, "Stryker" seems to be the replacement of choice.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I used to suffer from truck drivers knee....
Look down at your thigh...There are 3 muscles that run down the thigh and attach to the knee cap...inside, outside and middle....what happens is the inside muscle gets weak from lack of use and the other muscles start to pull the bone off to one side...the idea is to strengthen ALL the muscles back to evenness..
This is actually a congenital thing, called extensor mechanism malalignment. Major PITA, especially when you're a catcher in high school.