kindle or nook or...ipad?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
last nite after dinner the boys asked us what we thought of getting a kindle or nook or ipad as an e-book reader.

what experience do you folks have?

found the e book reader thread.

has anyone experienced their new books being removed from their kindles?

just found this cnet review of all three,

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009738-1.html

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
last nite after dinner the boys asked us what we thought of getting a kindle or nook or ipad as an e-book reader.

what experience do you folks have?

found the e book reader thread.

has anyone experienced their new books being removed from their kindles?

As you know from the e book reader thread, I rave over the Kindle. I don't have experience with any of the others. It looks to me like they ALL have good features, Kindle just works best for me.

No, I haven't had any books removed from my Kindle. When you register with Amazon, you have an order history as well as a library of your books. If by chance something DID happen, I could go to my library and "resend" it to my device. Also, you said boys, plural, one of the features I like about the Kindle is that you can share your books with others on the same account so if you had 5 Kindles you would only purchase a book once and then can send it to whichever devices you want. That would include their computers, iphones, ipod touches...if they own these.

I don't know their ages but they may prefer the ipad. Linda and Bob have that if I recall so hopefully she can shed some light there but it looks to me to be excellent. You can do more with the ipad than you can other ebook readers but that depends on signal.....do you have wireless at home? Also, the back lighting on the ipad would be the same as reading a computer screen and some people that spend a lot of time on their computers appreciate a break from that....not sure what the consensus would be concerning eye strain but I CAN tell you that I like getting away from it and enjoying just the book.

As always, my writing is clear as mud so I'm counting on others to step in here and add to the fray.....:D

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
we have verizon mifi everywhere we go but don't all three have wifi/3g built in?

from the two cnet reviews i watched it seems to come down to which do you support, e-world amazon with its b&m whses and trucks making deliveries for them or the b&n b&m buildings you can visit and have coffee while nooking. can i use nook as a verb?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
we have verizon mifi everywhere we go but don't all three have wifi/3g built in?

from the two cnet reviews i watched it seems to come down to which do you support, e-world amazon with its b&m whses and trucks making deliveries for them or the b&n b&m buildings you can visit and have coffee while nooking. can i use nook as a verb?

The ones that have wifi would need to pick up a signal from your mifi or another source. The 3G ones work like a cell phone, you turn it on and download.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your post, can you clarify?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Well crap......brain hasn't kicked in yet today....or it may be on vacation......you meant that the boys are asking you if YOU would like one....right??:confused:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I happen to have all three mentioned and a Kindle DX sitting here on loan to me. I like the Kindle DX but also the b&w Nook.

The DX is larger, it is rather better suited for me and it does work well with both length of running time and usability, which is the same with the Nook. This one, which is the oldest of all in the bunch, actually does well with the most important thing I need - reading native PDF files.

The iPad is still overrated at this point and still expensive, and LCD which sucks as a reader. (by the way, the color Nook is the same thing, LCD and rather bothers my eyes after two hours of reading.) With the investment that you are making in the iPad, it seems more of a novelty than an actual what someone actually needs, especially if you have a smart phone - something like keeping up with the Jones thing. The one thing that really bugs me about apple and makes me stop in any move to buy their products is their attitude toward applications and how their approval system stifles a lot of progress. I truly think that Apple rides on the wave of got to have it more than the bleeding edge.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a Kindle and for reading think it's the best. An iPad would do a good job as well but it's far easier on the eyes to read a screen like the Kindle than a brightly backlit screen like an iPad. Also, the current generation Kindle only has to be recharged a couple of times a month and the iPad would have to be recharged somewhere around daily. That's not a huge deal unless you want to read when it needs to recharge and you aren't where you can read while it's plugged in.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am a Kindle enthusiast too.

No book I have downloaded to my Kindle has been removed.

In addition to downloading a book directly to your Kindle, you can download it to your computer and then plug your Kindle into the computer USB port and transfer the book to the Kindle. If a book ever did dispapper off a Kindle, it would take only a couple of mouse clicks to restore it from your computer.

An iPad has many more functions and capabilities than a Kindle. The Kindle is a reader. I lost interest in the iPad the instant I picked one up in an Apple Store. It weighed a ton compared to a Kindle. With the iPad being part of a new product category, you can expect prices to come down and features to grow in the near future. It is too early to buy an iPad, I think, especially if you already have a laptop.

There is something to be said for the experience of actually holding a real book in your hands and turning the pages but I care less and less about that as I use my Kindle. It can hold thousands of books and it weighs very little.

I read more now than I used to simply because the Kindle is so easy to pick up and use. When a shipper tells me it will be 15 minutes, out comes the Kindle! I especially enjoy a weekly magazine subscription I now get via my Kindle.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
We have a Kindle and it is great - so easy to use. :D

Only drawback is there is no back light for night time reading when we are on the road :(

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No backlight?

E-Ink technology does not have back lighting because it is supposed to be like paper which uses a solid white back on the display. There are readers out there that use LCD technology which have back lights because the LCD technology changes the light path. There is one reader using LED technology that I know of in prototype form which is pretty nice but still not as good as the E-Ink ones. The E-Ink is easier on the eyes, LCD display takes some getting used to for close up reading and the LED display is a mix of the two but it seems not to dim as well as it should be.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
The ones that have wifi would need to pick up a signal from your mifi or another source. The 3G ones work like a cell phone, you turn it on and download.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your post, can you clarify?

sure i was referring to brick & morter warehouses or brick & mortar stores.

yes the two 20 somethings want to buy US an e-book reader of some sort. looked at the ipad at best buy. nice maybe the next computer. had a real good young lady at barnes & noble at their brick & mortar store answer a lot of questions. got very nifty booklet at bb to compare the nook, kindle and sony readers..

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
sure i was referring to brick & morter warehouses or brick & mortar stores.

yes the two 20 somethings want to buy US an e-book reader of some sort. looked at the ipad at best buy. nice maybe the next computer. had a real good young lady at barnes & noble at their brick & mortar store answer a lot of questions. got very nifty booklet at bb to compare the nook, kindle and sony readers..

Cool....you're really into researching this thing, I like it!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The current generation Kindle will read a lot of content out loud and does a good job although not perfect. Not all content is formatted to allow read aloud though.