Keeping warm and cool.

richobe

Expert Expediter
I'm looking at a 24' straight truck and was wondering what is the best system for keeping it heated and cool without running the engine. I used to have a Freightliner Columbia, but I froze in the winter. I've heard a lot of discussions about different systems, but never heard what really worked, and about what it costs. Any advise or help would be great.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Hey richobe, my advice would be an APU. If your going to spend a good amount of time on the road I would definately get one. They have heat, air, power all appliances keep the batteries charged and most importantly save on fuel and maintenance. They also have many safeguard features such as battery monitoring, and temp start. I've never owned a truck without one and probably never will. They'll set you back about 10g's but if your going to be on the road a good amount I would think about it. Good luck.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm looking at a 24' straight truck and was wondering what is the best system for keeping it heated and cool without running the engine. I used to have a Freightliner Columbia, but I froze in the winter. I've heard a lot of discussions about different systems, but never heard what really worked, and about what it costs. Any advise or help would be great.

i agree with Jamon123 and get an APU. There are certain parts of the country where you cannot idle your engine. IMO that is the best investment for you.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I love my APU. It's on right now as I lay down going to bed. I also love my espar heater. Super quiet and will sweat you out of the sleeper if you set it too high. I have a tripak. I like it.

A big trick on these is to get the vents for the a/c to vent out up high in the sleeper. No one does that typically opting to cut a vent down low where it is most convenient, but they cool great when vented from up high. I ran a simple dryer hose from the cooling unit to the top of my sleeper and with practically no insulation it will still cool down the sleeper even in Arizona during the summer.