JUST WONDERING WHATS UP...

tec1959

Expert Expediter
You know this site Is a great site and a great way to keep others Informed on the business,But It seems as of lately there's been a lot of company BASHING and a heck of a lot of personal attacks.Whats up with this??? I guess to many ppl have to much time on their hands and nothing better to DO...I'm sure few will agree with me but oh well just my observation...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It just comes in waves when there are alot changes. Numerous ones have happened over the past couple of months which leads to some frustrations. After a short while, things will iron themselves out.
History has a way of repeating itself sometimes.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Tec1959,

You said it, it comes from people with too much time on their hands. Some people thrive on controversy, and shifting attention to others perceived faults diverts attention from themselves.

Some folks have real issues that they need to vent about, others, just like to see people argue. They spy a likely pile of kindling, and throw a match.

And they wonder why we have moderators.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Interesting question. I feel to some extent it's the introductory process. From the Expediter Workshops to Recruiting. I sat in on a workshop one time. Before we got half thru it (if I hadn't had ten years in this business at that time) i'd a said "where do I sign up for this gravey train". The biggest problem we have today tho is "we" are an instant gratification society. We want it NOW, or, else. Don't work that way in this business. Nuther thing is most folks lack of interest in "being the best they can" getting by is sooo much easier, as long as the funds keep showing up. Customer service/satisfaction - ain't none to speak of, just what's in it for me. In short most are in the business for the wrong reasons, seem they need/expect big bucks or to camp. And that makes it very difficult for the rest of us that want to make big bucks, camp, and take care of the customer, so, we can do these things. ALL these things. Economics have a large factor in your question. I can't imagine having a 100k note on a tool and then wondering WHY this ain't the way it's sposed to be the way I heard it,being a newbie would be devestating. Problem is, most have all the answers, from, wherever they got them. There are many reasons WHY we don't look in the mirror

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The Humane Society should give EO an award. Think of all the dogs and cats that don't get kicked because people can vent here instead. :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Colonel, I know why I don't look in the mirror: I sometimes feel a bit wiser than I used to be, but looking in the mirror reminds me of how I got to be that way, lol.
I tend to agree with the "I want it NOW!" mentality, though. Course, it was much easier to instill a work ethic back when there were so many more examples of it...

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>You know this site Is a great site and a great way to keep
>others Informed on the business,But It seems as of lately
>there's been a lot of company BASHING and a heck of a lot of
>personal attacks.Whats up with this??? I guess to many ppl
>have to much time on their hands and nothing better to
>DO...I'm sure few will agree with me but oh well just my
>observation...

We could say your post about the bashing is contributing to the signal-to-noise ratio. :)

Anytime 2 or more people are together there will always be disagreements and personality conflicts. So given that we must all learn to control our own reactions rather than trying to control that which we cannot.

We must also ALL make the effort to get along, not just a few but EVERYONE. It can be difficult in a medium that does not allow the participants to see body language and facial expression; however, one could also argue that those very things might be very irritating. :)

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
It seems as of lately
>there's been a lot of company BASHING and a heck of a lot of
>personal attacks.Whats up with this??? I guess to many ppl
>have to much time on their hands and nothing better to
>DO...I'm sure few will agree with me but oh well just my
>observation...

This one's pretty easy. First of all, rest easy in that I'm sure most agree w/ ya. My guess as to why this happens is cuz when things are going great, people don't tend to get up on the mountaintop & yell "I LOVE LIFE!!!" Invariably someone will wanna throw a rock at em.

On the flip side, when things aren't going so well people tend to pipe up a bit more. To make a poker analogy, ya always hear about "bad beat" stories. Where someone lost a hand where they were a huge favorite. Ya even hear "bad beat" stories from people who didn't take a bad beat, they simply lost the hand. Anyway, ya seldom here about the story from the person who won the hand. Almost always it's from the person who lost it.

In a nutshell it's just human nature to talk more about the downs of life than the ups.

Take care,
Danny

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Tec,
as usual you are on the money.
Frustration from the lack of available freight, lower rates and higher operating costs create a festering mental sore.
Human nature is to strike out at the 1st available avenue of stress relief, kinda like talking to someone that has a migraine.
The only thing I can add that may be of benefit is that if someone seems to be attacking you personally it is because they are having a really crappy day (week or month) so don't take it to heart......
We are all in the same boat, marketing reps, dispatchers and yes we the driving folk.
Mike and Cyn