Just shaking my head.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Isn't there something else they could do in order to make an impact in their State? They should have a recall vote on any knucklehead that purposes something like this while their cities and states are going in the financial crapper.

States take aim at distracted pedestrians - USATODAY.com

States take aim at distracted pedestrians

LITTLE ROCK (AP) — Lawmakers in at least two states are looking to pull the plug on texting pedestrians and iPod-obsessed runners, claiming their diverted attention borders on disaster.
After targeting drivers who paid more attention to their phone calls and text messages than the road, lawmakers in Arkansas and New York are now looking to crack down on pedestrians equally distracted by their own electronic gadgets.

Lawmakers in both states have proposed restrictions on using cellphones and music players such as iPods by people running and walking on the street or sidewalk. The apparent message: Distracted pedestrians are dangerous.

"It's not just distracted drivers. We focus a lot on distracted drivers, but we also need to focus on distracted walkers and joggers," said Jonathan Adkins, a spokesman for the Governors Highway Safety Association, a nonprofit organization representing state highway safety offices.

The proposal in Arkansas would ban pedestrians from wearing headphones in both ears while on, parallel or adjacent to a street, road, intersection or highway. The measure also applies to runners and cyclists and would allow pedestrians to wear headphones in one ear.

"You might not get the full effect of the Boston Symphony Orchestra with one ear, but you at least will be aware of your surroundings," said Sen. Jimmy Jeffress, a Democrat from Crossett who proposed the legislation.

Democratic State Sen. Carl Kruger in New York has been trying since 2007 to ban the use of cellphones, iPods and other gadgets by pedestrians in major cities while crossing the street. The proposal would ban the use of an electronic device while crossing the crosswalk in a city with a population of one million or more. Violators would face a $100 civil fine.

Kruger said a series of accidents in his Brooklyn district made him concerned about the number of pedestrians he saw paying closer attention to their devices than what was in front of them.

"They were basically oblivious to the circumstances around them," Kruger said. "They got wired up, and ... their head was just in a different place. I don't think it's that much different than a ban on cellphones while driving or any other distraction."

Most states have been tackling distracted driving in some fashion, with 30 states and the District of Columbia banning texting while driving. Many states also have put other restrictions on the use of cellphones, particularly by teen drivers.

The proposed restrictions come as safety advocates say they're worried about a slight increase in the number of pedestrian fatalities. The Governors Highway Safety Association earlier this month reported that pedestrian fatalities rose slightly in the first half of 2010 compared to the same period in 2009. If the second half of the year shows no change, the group said, it would mark an end to four years of decreases.

Nationally, pedestrians make up about 12% of traffic fatalities, the group said.

Adkins said the group is not backing any proposals to criminalize headphones, calling or texting by pedestrians. He said the group would rather see increased public education on the dangers of walking or running while distracted.

"The pedestrian does have to share some responsibility," Adkins said.

Jean Knaack, executive director of the Road Runners Club of America, said her group doesn't ban headphones but recommends against their use while running or advises runners to at least use only one earphone. Knaack said she's discouraged when she sees runners at group runs or races plugging into their iPhones or other music players, saying it takes away from the social aspect of the sport.

"I certainly would rather see it be more of an education campaign than an outright limitation," Knaack said. "There are some people who have just convinced themselves they can't run without it. They need that crutch to be able to get out and do it."

Jeffress said his legislation, which does not spell out any penalty for a violation, is aimed more at increasing awareness than punishing pedestrians.

"I don't envision the earphone police going out and arresting people," Jeffress said. "I don't see anybody being stopped to check what's in their ears."

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Kinda makes ya wonder doesn't it. You would think that with the economy/employment in the crapper that they would be fixing that instead of worrying about something like this!:rolleyes:

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Kinda makes ya wonder doesn't it. You would think that with the economy/employment in the crapper that they would be fixing that instead of worrying about something like this!:rolleyes:

While I agree that this does seem a little "trivial" at the moment, it does have some merit.

Not that long ago, where I used to live in the UK, a young girl (about 15 years old) was texting and didn't realise that she was drifiting into the road (there was no pavement on this particular road), a car came around the bend and the worst happened - she died later in hospital.
This was not the first time that I had heard of this type of accident, and sadly I'm sure it won't be the last.

Another example of this "drifting" was shown on EO just recently, with the woman and the fountain.
Shows age is not a factor.

Just showing the other side of the coin ;)

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I witnessed a pedestrian texterist (or is it a texting pedestrian) walk right into a tree in the parking lot of Dolphin Mall here in Miami Florida. It was not a gentle tap either, she seemed disoriented for a moment, gathered herself and continued texting and walking to the mall. Lesson not learned....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well this will sound cruel, so what. Let them run into things and get run over - it is their problem. If we want to solve all these texting issues, then end the feature - problem solved. The Feds/states can and do have that honor to regulate the telecom, but not behaviors.

Also that women in Florida falling in the 'pond' is very upset with the youtube posting, she seems to think that it is a violation of her privacy.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If people took "personal responcibilty for their actions, then this wouldn't be a concern at all..but we all know that policiticians especially the lib left always feel the need to "take care of the people" protect them from themselves....this is just more "feel good politics".....

The state and fed has no place in this kind of bs....

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Greg... survival of the fittest... or in this case, the wisest. If people want to risk being the winner of the next Darwin, no law is going to stop them.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Also that women in Florida falling in the 'pond' is very upset with the youtube posting, she seems to think that it is a violation of her privacy.
Hate to admit it but, I think she should be allowed to sue someone's arse off. My opinion is that a security 'bloopers film' should not be allowed to be posted by some 18 year old who monitored something odd happening.

But to make a law about texting/walking is asinine. What's next rationing salt?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I don't find it unusual. I thought everyone knew that elected officials ALWAYS know what is best for the public.:p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are destroying mankind with all this silly feel good stupidity. Allowing the weak and stupid to survive and breed. Strong, smart people breed and have similar offspring for the most part. Same with the weak and stupid. It seems that the weak and stupid are winning right now. :(

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
We are destroying mankind with all this silly feel good stupidity. Allowing the weak and stupid to survive and breed. Strong, smart people breed and have similar offspring for the most part. Same with the weak and stupid. It seems that the weak and stupid are winning right now. :(

LOL I'm glad you said "for the most part" for some reason Paris Hilton popped into my head :D:D