Just getting started.

hayesville

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am interested in expediting as a career. Most of my experience is driving tri-axle dumps and pulling 30' dozer trailers. How do I get started? I have contacted FedXCC and they will lease my truck if/when I buy one in the near future. I have also been in touch with Alumi Bunk. FL80 w/condo sleeper and 22'box. Does anyone recommend this truck? What is best area of country for loads. I am in Western North Carolina. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

If you want a truck, There are a lot of good used ones for sale. (like mine,it was leased to fdx/cc) It will be a lot cheaper than getting a new one to start.

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
i would highly recommend NOT buying a new business class truck. Look at used tractors, with "real" motors (lol), that can be converted into a straight truck. If you want the big sleeper, check out used day-cabs. There are already too many of the business class trucks available on the market, and their "value" is practically non-existant -- just ask someone who has tried to trade one in...

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wendycal is absolutely correct. Stay away from a major investment untill you know for sure this businness is for you.There are many good used trucks out there that will fit the bill for a year or two while you and your family determine if this lifestyle is for you.On a side note I have heard of lots of problems with the quality of Aluminbunk.But of course you just hear negative not positive comments..

Trucker Matt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you want to learn about it first, you might think about commiting to and driving for an owner for 6 months to a year before you buy. It'll give you time to learn the ropes, see how much money you can make and ample opportunity to learn about all the various truck options.

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Watch the weight on that truck, ours is over 21,000lb's full of fuel and will not scale the 13,000lbs that Fed-Ex requires. I would suggest you drive for an owner first and then look into buying a truck if you like this business. If you are looking at getting in at this time be aware that we are heading into what is traditionaly the slowest time of the year for freight. By the way Alum-Bunk is commonly refered to as Alumi-JUNK, and the name does fit, but even worse is the decietful business practices they have.

G

I NEED DRIVERS ,WE RUN ARE TRUCKS AS TEAM THAT IS WHERE THE MONEY IS AND YOU GET BETTER LOADS THAT WAY. WE HAVE 4 TRUCKS LEASED TO TRI-STATE EXP.THERE OUT OF PERRYBURG OHIO WE LIVE 40 MILES INTO MI ON RT.75. WE PAY GOOD OR BETTER THAN SOME OWNER/OPERS. WE ALSO PAY FOR THE FUEL,AIG INS, THE 800-BEEPER THAT GO TO THE TRUCK,AND THE QC COMPUTER,WIRE TRAN FOR YOUR CHECK ON FRIDAY TO YOUR BANK IT COST US $7.50 EACH WEEK. LIKE I SAID WE TAKE CARE OF EVERYTHING ,BUT YOU PAY FOR YOUR TOLLS ONLY. CALL US IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DRIVE THSES ARE NEW TRUCKS 72-SLEEPERS AND 22 FT BOXES WITH EXTRAS.WE PAY 45% AND 50% TO ARE TEAM DRIVERS. E-MAIL US [email protected] AND CALL 1-888-388-9381