Big Truck Just curious...HOW do you make money in a straight truc

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a cargo van driver, I was always curious...how do you guys make money? I heard when diesel was up it cost 80 cents a mile just for fuel, and the per mile rate isnt that much more than vans...

HOS limits your range, repairs and tows cost a fortune, not to mention insurance...cost of vehicle...my brain just shuts down when I try to figure it out...

TDave

Expert Expediter
Currently my fuel cost is like 20 cents a mile. A couple of years ago when diesel was double my fuel cost was in the high 30 cents. If your a team HOS doesn't/shouldn't come into play.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a cargo van driver, I was always curious...how do you guys make money? I heard when diesel was up it cost 80 cents a mile just for fuel, and the per mile rate isnt that much more than vans...

HOS limits your range, repairs and tows cost a fortune, not to mention insurance...cost of vehicle...my brain just shuts down when I try to figure it out...
all depends on short or long miles rates vary if I stay in state {fl.}I average 3.00 to 4.00 bucks a mile.

Reactions: neilblack and TDave

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hovering around 1.20 canadian for vans if I'm lucky, at 4 US per mile maybe OVM could sponsor a fellow Canadian after I buy a straight truck ;)

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Really land star is paying 3-4 per mile I find that even harder to fathom you need to prove that to me! For what kind of truck?

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really land star is paying 3-4 per mile I find that even harder to fathom you need to prove that to me! For what kind of truck?

No Landstar pay a percent. My last 3 loads were 1.4 Dallas to Newark NJ dropped down to DC (no Pay) 1.58 DC to Aspen, Co
Deadheaded to Dallas Had doctor appointment for hernia surgery. 1.43 Dallas to El Paso. Now I did head right back to Dallas empty since today I had surgery, everything went fine.

Normally i would give some time before leaving El Paso a day and then head to Cali to is it family and most of the time get a good paying load out of there.

You also have to add into each load our fuel discounts which can be anywhere from .20 to .45 or more a gallon.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All good info...lifestyle choice is what it comes down to I guess...just deadheaded 500 miles to get home after dropping on a Saturday, couldn't do that in a straight truck, it's good you guys have that huge bunk

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All good info...lifestyle choice is what it comes down to I guess...just deadheaded 500 miles to get home after dropping on a Saturday, couldn't do that in a straight truck, it's good you guys have that huge bunk
Want to bet, I'd take a good paying load and deadhead back, since I know that I'll be down for about 10 days. Just adds a little more money to the kitty.