just a thread....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
12190056_923533817737898_1490211659892200279_n.png

An Ojibway artist, Mike Ivall, suggested a new logo for the NHL club that is more contemporary and culturally acceptable. Looks impressive. Do you think the Blackhawks club should consider updating their logo?

Reactions: cheri1122

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Very nice design, but the current logo is iconic. Unlikely to change tradition.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ivall's logo is ART - I love it!
You guys who can't handle change? Dinosaurs, that's all I'm saying. :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So what if it's the Mona Lisa it isn't the team logo

Things change. The Cleveland Indians have updated their logo, I'm sure others have too... Ditto uniforms, no problem. How many teams have left the cities and fans that loved & supported them, or just threatened to, for more money?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Explain why it needs changed and what is offensive about it. Not everything has to change just because things change

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Explain why it needs changed and what is offensive about it. Not everything has to change just because things change
That's an easy one. It needs to change because a very small percentage of people find it offensive, or at least they say they do (as a means of exerting power just to exert power).

A few years ago Sport Illustrated, along with the Pew Research Center, did a poll of Native Americans, and found that a full 83% found none (as in not even one) of the high school, college or pro sports teams' names or logos offensive, Something like 12% found one or more offensive, but it was only about 2 percent that found any and all Native American names or mascots offensive.

There certainly have been some whoppers, like the Wahpeton (North Dakota) Wops, the Pekin Chinks, the Coachella Valley Arabs, Freeburg Midgets, East Akron Orientals.

My favorite is the Fighting Nads of the Rhode Island School of Design...
RISD2.gif

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, it shouldn't change, now or ever, just and only because the demand for change is some you know who's for their usual ignorant reasons. If it had been changed by the club with no outside demand for change then fine, at least as to reason, even if the change was from the great original logo to the lame rooster. Not as an appeasement though. No.