Jung Express

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
YOU WILL NOT KNOW WHAT A LOAD PAYS UNTIL SETTLEMENT CHECK ARRIVES, ONE PERSON DISPATCH, LOADS ALWAYS PAY LESS THAN 80 CENTS A MILE WITH THE FUEL SURCHARGE INCLUDED, EXTREMELY LONG DH, MANY TIMES OVER 200 MILES, YOU PAY ALL INSURANCE,VANS ARE TOTALLY UNMARKED SO YOU MUST DENY EXPEDITING IF YOU ARE STOPPED, AND MOST OF THE TIME YOU ARE RUNNING ILLEGALLY.
NO DIRECTIONS ARE AVAILABLE, AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO TURN DOWN A LOAD.
BEEN THERE DONE THAT, STAY WITH THE LARGE NAME COMPANIES.

taleach

Expert Expediter
I just got started as of 10-15-04 in this business and am trying it out with a small local company in Wisconsin.

The owner told me he worked Jung and had the same experience as KG stated.

They must be doing something right however. They are big on the straight trucks.

Let us know if you find anything else.

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
I applied at Jung Express in mid August.The owner is a friend of a friend of mine,and used to be a contractor at the same company that I am currently with.I was told that Jung has recently purchased several 2005 International straight trucks with sleepers(only 36"or 42"),and that they are to be used as company trucks with employee drivers-who needed to stay out for only 7-10 days at a time.The rate of pay was pretty good,split obviously between loaded and empty miles,and they offered other benefits that you usually can only get as an employee. The prospect of being assinged to a brand-new truck and not having to bear all the expenses are what attracted me to this company the most.Unfortunately,dealing with their people seemed almost impossible,as the phone-tag game began after my first attempt at contacting them after filing my application.I called them,was able to leave messages,was told to call back at a certain time-called back and still no contact,etc...Finally,after almost two weeks I was told they would take me on and would call me to set up a driving test.They called on a Saturday morning to do the driving test that day,but I was on a run in Tennessee,and I have not heard from them since.I only wish that I would have been able to meet with the owner,as I'm sure he has no idea how many good people they may inadvertently be turning away.By the way,I currently have 25 years and 2,456,876 miles experience driving professionally-four years and 350,000 miles in expediting. If this helps anyone,great.If anyone else has had these types of experiences,maybe we could start a new thread,trying to figure out if it is us-or them.Thanks...

miko

Expert Expediter
RE: Jung Express@kg:

We currently get loads from a Milwaukee based company and at most times, we don't know what it pays either, untill the paycheck is due.
We don't have our business name on the vehicle either. But since we are trying to get into another company also, we think it is better not to have a name on the vehicle. Wondering, how can one deny expediting at controls, even if you haul a pizza box in the back you are screwed.

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter
My husband signed on with Jung earlier this month and we can see both good and bad so far...it's been pretty frustrating getting started. It's hard to find anyone who will just sit down and explain how everything works. Every one is always too busy. He was going on runs without really understanding how or when he's getting paid. He did finally demand to have some time to go over things with him and went in last week and spent some time with the recruiter asking questions. We're still not exactly sure what he'll be paid, we have to wait for the detail that comes with the check. That's pretty scary. He was never told that he had to deny expediting if he's pulled over, I'm not really sure how you could do that with your back end loaded. He has had quite a bit of dh miles. He's had 2 not local trips and both of those he deadheaded back. He's on a trip now to TN and we're hoping he won't have to dh back. They did get him working pretty quickly once he had his truck and insurance. He didn't have to go through any testing or training. In our situation we just had to get some money coming in as quickly as possible. We plan to give this a little time to see how it's going to work out. He can always go to other companies. He only has to give 7 days notice if he doesn't want to haul for them anymore. He turned down a load to D.C. that they called for late Friday night. He didn't think he had to go anywhere until today so he had a few drinks-there was no way he could drive. Why is it not good to turn down loads with them?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
maybe it's just me, but i don't believe i would work for any company without knowing ahead of time what the pay would be. THAT'S JUST CRAZY!!!. DD. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter
I know it is pretty crazy to work and not know what you're making. We just went under the assumption that they are in it to make money too. I mean the higher the trip pays the more they make too. As long as they make money we make money and vice-versa. But, I can tell you this is not what we expected with all the dead head miles. Also, Jung doesn't have a satelite, my husband has to call in every two hours. Seems a little cheasy-like my husband is a thumb tack being moved along a map. We knew that we'd learn lessons along the way. We're both starting to feel uneasy, especially with KG's comments about most of the time you are running illegally. KG, what exactly do you mean by "illegal"?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
also i would add that i don't know how jung does it, but my company either you are in service and available for a load or you are out of service and not available. the reason i bring this up is because if you are in service and available,you are also subject to random drug and alcohol testing at any time.so it would be in your best interest if you are going to have a few drinks and thus be unable to drive, take yourself out of service.DD.

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter
He was out of service but another driver broke down and they wanted to see if he could cover the run. KG had mentioned not to turn down a load....but there are circumstances (like this) where you have to. Of course he didn't tell the dispatcher why he couldn't go. I just wondered why KG said not to turn down loads with them. If he was in service he would never drink.

miko

Expert Expediter
RE: Jung Express/@mrandmrs:

What do you exactly mean by "there is nobody available to explain things"? How much info does one need in order to go from point A to point B? I don't understand. One gets the shipping papers and starts driving to the destination address. What else???

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

>What do you exactly mean by "there is nobody available to
>explain things"? How much info does one need in order to go
>from point A to point B? I don't understand. One gets the
>shipping papers and starts driving to the destination
>address. What else???
it seems to me that they need alot more info "to go from point A to point B" if you have no idea what you are making on any particular run, then you are probably not going to be happy when that paycheck arrives. just my opinion.DD. x( x(

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter

Going from point A to point B was not the problem. What we wanted explained was how much you get paid, if a fuel surcharge was included, how much of the fuel surcharge is passed onto the driver, is there any pay for empty miles, what do you need to turn in to get paid, what is the pay schedule, do you get a copy of the customer invoice, did we need our own permits, why didn't we need at least a dot number on the truck, etc. In short, we wanted to know the basics.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

>Going from point A to point B was not the problem. What we
>wanted explained was how much you get paid, if a fuel
>surcharge was included, how much of the fuel surcharge is
>passed onto the driver, is there any pay for empty miles,
>what do you need to turn in to get paid, what is the pay
>schedule, do you get a copy of the customer invoice, did we
>need our own permits, [font color="red"]"[font size="+1"] or at least a dot
>number on the truck,!!!!!!!!

[/font]

I don't know about "y'all"... but I got red lites flashin all OVER my 'NO WAY, NO HOW!!' meter!

WOW!

miko

Expert Expediter

I don't get it!!!
How can you take a job with no info at all???
After your explanation, I am just stunned.
I don't even know what to make of this...

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter

Well....once we had what they said he needed-van,insurance, phone he called and they set up an appointment to sign the contract. At that time, they told him he would get 60% of the load. We both figured he would get some kind of trip sheet or specific load info with each load. But, that was not the case. All he did get was a phone call with the pickup/dropoff addresses. When he asked about pay, the office girl said he would have to talk to someone else who, of course, was not available. So, we had a decision to make...we have a van we have to pay for, insurance we have to pay for etc. Does he let the van just sit there until he gets all the answers or does he take the load that is offered to him and get out and make some money? We had to look at it like I said before, if they make money, we make money. They've been in business for 13 years with 70 drivers. It's hard to believe that they've gotten this far by shafting people. So, even though it doesn't make the most sense to everyone, we had to weigh the positives and negatives and make a decision. The van sitting in our driveway is not making ANY money.