Jumping Load boards

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
Which load boards can you use to load 24 footers. Most of them want 48 to 53' trucks, or specialized: flat beds or refers. I have yet to find one that has loads for my trucks.

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
Which load boards can you use to load 24 footers. Most of them want 48 to 53' trucks, or specialized: flat beds or refers. I have yet to find one that has loads for my trucks.

Try Sylectus... they got lots of freight for straight trucks

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
Thank you. I only want to run local, so the plot gets thicker. I can't justify having an MC# and they are requesting it. On top of the fact that you have to pay to search the load boards to find out they have no loads for you.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
So you thought membership and searching load boards was free??....

Hey, I have this Oceanview property in Las Vegas I'd like to sell....

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
Chefdennis, there is a lot of ocean front property in Las Vegas. The water just hasn't arrived yet. A lot of beach, just no water.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I have heard of this one really old skool method where you make business cards and visit companies, especially companies that have a dock out back. But then again, it probably won't work.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Thank you. I only want to run local, so the plot gets thicker. I can't justify having an MC# and they are requesting it. On top of the fact that you have to pay to search the load boards to find out they have no loads for you.

Them don't wanna's will git ya every time.

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
So you thought membership and searching load boards was free??....

Hey, I have this Oceanview property in Las Vegas I'd like to sell....

Cute. I don't have a problem paying for the load boards, and I have. The problem I have is paying and they don't have loads for my truck type. Most of the loads out of florida are refers, flat beds, 48' and 53'. I just want a load board that has loads for my truck.

lhannah

Active Expediter
That is what we all want. With the current state of expedite everybody is having a harder time finding freight for their trucks.

I look through a number of load boards a day. You aren't going to find consistent freight in Florida for any size vehicle through a load board.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
If there was a magic load board with all kinds of expedite freight on it everyone would be on that board and then the freight wouldn't pay that much, but then again, one of those kind of already exists.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Jefferson's idea of creating some business cards is a good idea, It's exactly how I got my start in the expedite business back in Atlanta in the late '80's early '90's. When I wasn't driving, I put on a dress shirt and tie, go knock on doors of the freight forwarders at Atlanta Harstfield Int'l Airport, and you'd be surprised the business I got. If I happened to get a trip while selling, I quickly swapped out vehicles and off trucking I went. As I grew from a one man operation I added another o/o to my business (only because he had a cube truck, which I did not and needed such a vehicle for a particular trip.) but after he screwed up twice and cost me a very good client, I went back to being a one man operation and if I needed a cube I rented one for the occasion. I eventually saved up money and did buy a cube from CF/Emery Air Freight at a real dirt cheap price. Moral of the story is if you want to stay local go to the local airports and talk with the freight forwarders. Loadboards are ok if you're on an outbound trip and looking to get back home. But like someone already mentioned here, if you're using loadboards, you need to look under the LTL section for straight truck freight. You may also want to try talking with LTL common carriers too, and offer your services when one of their local p/u and del routes mess up and they need some freight picked up for one of their customers. Averitt Express used me in that capacity, as did Saia Motor Freight!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You have five issues that are going to be a problem Florida, local, straight truck, no MC#, and no reefer. Your business that you are trying to get going has some major hurdles to overcome, is there a reason you couldn't move to a better area? I think you will find that almost any business that needs an LTL run will have their own trucks or use companies like UPS and Yellow. I would consider moving or changing to a reefer TT.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
You have five issues that are going to be a problem Florida, local, straight truck, no MC#, and no reefer. Your business that you are trying to get going has some major hurdles to overcome, is there a reason you couldn't move to a better area? I think you will find that almost any business that needs an LTL run will have their own trucks or use companies like UPS and Yellow. I would consider moving or changing to a reefer TT.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I'm not sure all of those things are really big hurdles. The main thing is, you have to define your niche. Are you long haul or local/regional? No small company is going to be the Walmart of the industry. The key to success is knowing and staying with your one big stick.

InTRAstate trucking in Florida requires no special permit. If you have vehicles OVER 26001, you need to have your FREE DOT number and wear it. Doing local/regional work without an MC is no issue at all. Unless you're based in Jacksonville or some other border city where customers will need you to go into GA or AL, you won't need one.

Boards work great for areas where you are situated irregularly. Direct business contacts work best for local work. If you run long haul, an LTL board works fine, if all you are looking for is freight returning to where you are based. If you are looking for higher paying expedited freight, then you would need to get hooked up with clients who move freight via load board, email blast or by you emailing truck locations.

Florida has plenty of freight. You just have to know where to look. ;)