job hunting...lou,ky

flanagan123

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm looking for work as a company driver in b c or maybe d unit. I have a cdl/a with about two years OTR but would like to drive something smaller. Staying out 2 - 3 weeks or longer not a problem as long as it's profitable. I don't know anything about this part of the trucking business, in fact don't know if there's anything out there if you don't own a truck so any help would be appreciated.... thanks charlie

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For expediting, KY is a decent area to live, as far as getting home. (Remember, if your buying a truck, you will cover the costs of driving the truck home). I switched to expediting from OTR and had a huge wakeup call, even though I initially teamed with someone for 2 months who has been expediting for years.
As far as expediting, this is a whole different ballgame than running general freight. Most all expediting companies only solicit expedited "headhaul loads". Anotherwards, you will be dispatched on a hot run, an that will be it. From there, you have to decide to wait for another headhaul, or incur the costs of relocating to better area, depending on the company you choose. (some companies will give you an empty move, which is a small amount of money to cover the costs of fuel to relocate to a better area).
One of the benefits of expediting over OTR general freight, is that you wont be wearing your truck out for next to nothing, which is what you do when you haul constantly for .80-.90 a mile.
As far as types of equipment, my opinion is as follows:
B UNIT: PROS: cheap to aquire, easy to navigate, cheap to maintain, cheap to register, van can also be used a a personal vehicle, NON DOT REGULATED! CONS: virtually no backhaul available, many carriers are completely saturated with them, which creates a shortage of freight per unit.
C and D UNIT: PROS: easy to navigate, better MPG than tractors CONS: straight trucks with sleepers are not very liquid. (no other use for business other than expediting).
E UNIT: PROS: most $ per mile, very liquid (tractor very usefull other than expediting), backhauls are allways available. CONS: very hard to navigate (many tight locations where tractor/trailers were never meant to be in expediting), numerous routing restrictions and huge base costs.

G

Thanks for the info Bret. Since I don't own a truck now I would like to drive for a company, fleet owner or o/o and would just as soon not get back into an e for the reasons u mentioned.
charlie

Kyle O

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bret is right there is a huge difference between truckload and expedite. I am a fleet owner out of Indy and ran a small truckload carrier before getting into this. If you drive as a company driver there are some advantages but in general you will make less $$ than if you take the risk of owning your vehicle. I am adding equipment regularly and usually can find a seat in a truck for a driver but it is important that you have real expectations about your time away from versus pay.

There is a reason that the ideal canadite for expediting is a husband wife team who never have to be at home.