JB Hunt files bankruptcy, TMC closes doors?

MDowdy

Seasoned Expediter
Has anyone heard of J.B. Hunt filing bankruptcy this week, and ordered 35,000 trucks parked, or that TMC flatbed company told all their drivers to turn in their trucks to a regional yard immediately?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone heard of J.B. Hunt filing bankruptcy this week, and ordered 35,000 trucks parked, or that TMC flatbed company told all their drivers to turn in their trucks to a regional yard immediately?

Never believe anything that is overheard in the professional drivers section at your local truck stop.DD.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let me guess. You were at a t/s listening to a group of guys and someone said something along the lines of J B Hunt and bankruptcy within the same conversation. There was an article about 3 weeks ago that headlined "Fuel costs driving truckers to the brink of bankruptcy." In the article it talked about how JBH buys fuel in huge quantities and stores it at it's terminals for it's trucks to fill there and so hadn't been hit by the 38 cent increase in fuel prices in the prior 2 weeks. Three weeks is just enough time for the original discussion to get totally gossiped up to JBH filing bankruptcy. A cursory search found an article reporting record earnings for them 2 years ago but nothing about bankruptcy since 1995. It's possible, but more likely is just t/s gossip.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone heard of J.B. Hunt filing bankruptcy this week, and ordered 35,000 trucks parked.

The biggest problem I see with this (after checking their fleet size on the safer website) is where are they going to come up with 23,126 trucks to get to the 35,000 they are going to park? DD.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Yep looks like they are headed belly up.

From JB's website
"J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. Contact: Kirk Thompson
615 J.B. Hunt Corporate Drive President and
Lowell, Arkansas 72745 Chief Executive Officer
(NASDAQ: JBHT) (479) 820-8110
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc., Increases Quarterly Dividend
LOWELL, ARKANSAS, January 31, 2008 - J. B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. (NASDAQ: JBHT)
announced today that its Board of Directors approved an increase in the quarterly cash dividend
on its common stock to ten (10) cents per common share payable on February 21, 2008 to its
stockholders of record on February 7, 2008."

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a few weeks ago I heard that all Swifts truck had to be parked by the following Saturday.

Hmm... You know, I'm beginning to think that the CB may be a less than reputable news source.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey...Isn't UPS buying Panther????*LOL*

Panther drivers are the worst for this one....nearly every TS I go in some P2 driver comes up to me and says.." did ya hear we're getting bought out" or "did ya hear we are UPS now?"
Seems every TS has the manditory Panther Van!!!*L*

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a few weeks ago I heard that all Swifts truck had to be parked by the following Saturday.

It would take a few weeks for the Swift driver to park it without rolling it, catching it on fire, causing an EPA spill or hitting anything.

On second thought, they'd still run into something.

Reactions: 1 person

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
A girl at the college was bragging yesterday about how well her "stock" in J.B. Hunt is doing. She said how much she made per share, but I forget. It was some type of excercise for her economics class.

MDowdy

Seasoned Expediter
You know, I simply asked the question. I was running with a JB driver, and he informed me that he received a message on Qualcomm to take truck to terminal.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Did he say he got a message to take it to the terminal because the company filed bankruptcy and all vehicles were to be turned in at the terminal or did he get a message saying "take it to the terminal" period? If all he said was the latter then where did the rest of that come from? If he did tell you all that did you ask him if that's exactly what the message said word for word on the qc?

godslove139

Seasoned Expediter
Did he say he got a message to take it to the terminal because the company filed bankruptcy and all vehicles were to be turned in at the terminal or did he get a message saying "take it to the terminal" period? If all he said was the latter then where did the rest of that come from? If he did tell you all that did you ask him if that's exactly what the message said word for word on the qc?
Well I worked for JDC Logistics. All they did was send a message over the sat to drivers report to a certain shop.When you got there they fired you.in sept last year, till the first week of oct,2007 and shut there doors. 3 months eariler they did it to Tandem the teamester part of the company.last check you never saw.Six months later you got bills from your medical they cut off in march in 2007,and still deducted it from your paycheck everyweek.I think this is a cookie cutter for the rest of the industry to follow. JB HUNT, TMC ,and so on

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
TMC seems to be healthy. I have noticed recently that they are hauling a lot of outbound John Deere freight. Flatbed, dropdeck and OD being easily identified.

JB seems to be holding its own after scaling back a few years ago.

My all time favorite "gone bust" story is that of Consolidated Freightways. They locked the gates on Labor Day Weekend 2002. I have quite a bit of history with CF and found their shutdown date both amusing and ironic.

godslove139

Seasoned Expediter
TMC seems to be healthy. I have noticed recently that they are hauling a lot of outbound John Deere freight. Flatbed, dropdeck and OD being easily identified.

JB seems to be holding its own after scaling back a few years ago.

My all time favorite "gone bust" story is that of Consolidated Freightways. They locked the gates on Labor Day Weekend 2002. I have quite a bit of history with CF and found their shutdown date both amusing and ironic.
CF is still running in Flint,MI,and Pontiac,MI.I just applyed for a open position last march.2002 the guy that owens the ambassador bridge shut them down to break the union but failed.