Items along the road

trump

Expert Expediter
How often do you see valuables in the road? two weeks ago I was on 75 North and seen a backpack on the right shoulder. and friday night I found a briefcase in the road as I was exiting a plant in Ohio. I was able to turn the briefcase into the plant security but could not stop for the backpack.
I am wondering if this is something that happens often.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I think the most common unintentional item seen alongside the road is a mattress. Hardly a day goes by thatwe don't see a mattress or two. Next in line is furniture, usually a plastic lawn chair or an occasional stuffed chair cushion. Don't ya know someones momma ain't gonna be happy when her new couch is shy a cushion. Las month we saw a bathtub in a crate. How does that happen without someone knowing they lost their stuff?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I saw a nice, new looking aluminum ladder on the Ohio Turnpike once. Was tempted to pull off and drive in reverse for a 1/2 mile - but came to my senses.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Recent sightings.A nice looking gas grill standing upright on its wheels in the median.A new looking Lazy Boy rocker.Had to move onto the shoulder to get around.1/4 mi down the road a four wheeler was backing his trailer up the shoulder to pick it up.The ottaman was still on the flat trailer.No sign of ropes or anything to hold his furniture.

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
When I was in high school and working at an Oldsmobile dealer,I saw a brand new-in the box Ski-Doo snowmobile on the shoulder of I-894 in Milwaukee while out on a test drive in a customers GMC pick up. The mechanic I was with had me stop so we could put it in the back and take it to his house. That was his and my last day at that job! But,then again,that's what motivated me to get into trucking and that's where I've been since 1979...

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Thunderbolt,

I love that story!!!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
On my last day at Crete Carrier When I was unloading the truck I placed my IBM Thinkpad up on the luggage rack of my car so I wouldn't place some thing on it while unloading. After I got everything packed up I was tooling down I 80 and when I was passing a semi I heard this thud bang on the roof off my car...first I thought the driver in the truck must have thrown something at me but when I looked in the rearview I saw my laptop skipping down the road (at the time I was doing 70mph). I managed to pull over and after quite a long walk and a dash into the road I was able to get it. The screen was all messed up but the damn thing actually still works. Although for obvious reasons I don't use it. Does Timex own IBM?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Over the years I have seen several times where someone was throwing clothing out the windowof a vehicle that obviously belonged to someone else. Now that could be a new reality program.

Preacher

Expert Expediter
About 6 months ago I was at the corner Walgreens when I saw a pick-up with an 8ft. fiberglass step ladder in the bed race away from a green light trying to beat the other traffic before the road narrowed from 2 lanes to 1. As he nailed it the ladder slid out of his truck bed right in front of me! I got the ladder out of the road and propped it up against a light pole next to the street and waited for the idiot to come back for his ladder. After waiting 40 minutes the guy never came back, so I now have a nice 8ft. step ladder!:)

sylvester

Expert Expediter
This is a true story that does not have a happy ending, so I gave you fair warning if you do not want to read on.
Short form: Pulling a 53' dry van through Indy around 3:00 am. Speed was around 60mph. I'm in the middle lane of 3, because at that time of morning, you don't know who is out there doing what and I like to have as many defensive options as possible. Came around a small short bend where your headlights can't shine on whats around it. Out of the corner of my eye I catch a reflection of the moon off something in my lane. I can remember thinking this is not an animal, the reflection is too high off the road and it is moving slowly back and forth. I never jerk the truck to avoid a collision with animals, that to me is more trouble than slowly trying to avoid it. What a shock when the lights shown on the object. Here was a young man, sitting with his legs crossed facing me, smiling while he played his guitar (that was the reflection) This time I did forget about mine and my wife's well being and jerked the truck and trailer to the left, hoping if I lost control the truck would hit and slide down the guard rail instead of going right and ending in the ditch and possibly flipping or worse.
Don't know how, but I kept control of the truck and got it stopped just before touching the rail. As I jumped out of the truck I yelled at the wife to get on the CB and alert everyone about the young man. I start running down along the guard rail and can see that somehow I did not hit him. Before I could get to him, this young man accomplished what he had set out to do. This is something I hope no other driver will ever have to experience. I talked to and stayed in contact with the other truck driver for a few weeks. He never got over this and left the trucking industry.
With the increased use of drugs in this country (police later found this in his system) nothing would surprise me anymore. Be on the defense at all times driver's. Have a pre-plan for anything possible.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Wow.. I can't imagine anything worse than that...

I heard of a cop who shot a guy who was pointing a gun at him.. afterwords, they found a note on the guy apologizing to which ever cop shot him... also I saw a show on TV about similar cases.. it happens so often they have a name for it.. 'Suicide by Cop'.. really messes with their heads.

I guess now they train cops to try to realize if there really IS a danger, or if someone is just trying to get them to shoot them.

Dreamer

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Sylvester,

What an incredible story - tragic, but thanks for sharing. Newbies and veterans alike need to remember that we ALWAYS need to be on guard.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]

dawggone

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
was reading the post about the driver in indy. Several months ago after taking my ten hours off I was heading west on 26 in South Carolina near clinton when I came up on a young man kneeling on the side of the road praying. Startled me and right away grabbed the CB. By the time I said something the driver behind me screamed that he jumped out in front of him. Luckily he missed him. Notified the Highway Patrol and hopefully they found him before he accomplished what he wanted to do. Never expected that and now I am always watching and also watching bridges since those are getting dangerous.

Be safe out there everyone.

Jim

plumcrazy8

Expert Expediter
Geez you guys, some of these stories are downright frightening! On a lighter note: back before I got into this Expediting stuff I had a business which involved calling on customers all over the upper midwest, a lot of times on the same routes of course. Well, one such route alway took me on a little county blacktop in central Minnesota. About a mile north of a little town through an s-curve I could almost always count on stopping to pick up a tool in the roadway, this went on for literally years. I did have a customer in that town and after a long while I happened to mention it to the customer. He thought he knew the person and I stopped to talk to him if for nothing else a good laugh. Turned out that the guy had passed away just a few days before I got there and his son was running his little repair business. I had quite a talk with him and mentioned some of the stuff I had found over the years. Yup, almost all of it was his dad's and I was able to return some of that day - carried it in my tool box! He said maybe his Dad would be able to rest better now that his tools were back in his toolbox - not lost by his SON on test drives!