isuzu npr

therigwelder

Expert Expediter
i bought a 91 isuzu npr for 5500 i think its a pretty good truck with the 4cyl diesel i get over 20mpg.it has 143k miles,was a one owner.the coe design takes some getting used to though.anybody ever owned one?whats the major problems to look out for?i am going to lease it out so i can get the feel for the buisness.and believe it or not i like the auto tranny good firm shifter.i am confused over a couple things its got a 24volt switch on the dash but its got 12v batteries.its also got a switch ECO whats that mean economy? finally its got a switch on the signal lever and a switch on the dash that light up the same instrument panel light?my guess would be engine brake.i would like to hear what you all got to say:+

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
was this truck setup as a rig ? if so how much equip and at what weight did you gross. 20 mph is attractive for a field truck. does it have headache rack? just wondering

therigwelder

Expert Expediter
this is unladen miles,i havent carried any loads yet,i have seperate trucks for my welding buissness.do have a headache rack and am building a sleeper.i suspect with a sleeper and a load that i will lose 3-5 mpg.btw its a 14'fb:)

clarkandrew

Seasoned Expediter
i bought a 91 isuzu parts npr for 5500 i think its a pretty good truck with the 4cyl diesel i get over 20mpg.it has 143k miles,was a one owner.the coe design takes some getting used to though.anybody ever owned one?whats the major problems to look out for?i am going to lease it out so i can get the feel for the buisness.and believe it or not i like the auto tranny good firm shifter.i am confused over a couple things its got a 24volt switch on the dash but its got 12v batteries.its also got a switch ECO whats that mean economy? finally its got a switch on the signal lever and a switch on the dash that light up the same instrument panel light?my guess would be engine brake.i would like to hear what you all got to say:+

My father's friend is selling him this isuzu npr. This was quite old but as i check it, i think it was still in good condition. I think i also need to check on these one.

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Driven it on a road trip yet??

If not, prepare yourself for pure hell, OK.

Those Isuzu Cabovers (3500 series) are back killers and will beat the ever loving hell out of anyone in that cab. Tighten down your seatbelt as best as you can, get a couple more tie down straps and make a 4 point safety harness strapping yourself down as tight as you can in that seat, keep both hands tight on the steering wheel, and hang on for hell.....

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I've driven these trucks. I like them around town, they turn on a dime, but can't image it being good for OTR. Yes, that is the exhaust brake on the turn signal stalk. I guess make sure you buy the best shocks you can you'll need them.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Oh and a tip in the winter time run the heat full blast with the sunvisors down. This helps to keep windshield clear of fog and ice....since the windshield on these trucks are huge!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well the thing that convinced me not to consider one of these trucks was an accident I saw on my way home yesterday.

Sitting off to the side on west bound I-90 behind a guardrail was what looked like the remains of an Isuzu COE box truck. The cab was crushed in from hitting a rather large tree and it looked like someone was still in the seat and I don't think he was alive. Not much could survive with the amount of space taken up from the cab by that tree.

It looked like he wasn't paying attention to the road and lost control, hitting the shoulder and then the tree stopped him. Pretty messy.

I have yet been able to find any news about it, it happened on I-90 east of Cleveland early afternoon yesterday.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Well the thing that convinced me not to consider one of these trucks was an accident I saw on my way home yesterday.

Sitting off to the side on west bound I-90 behind a guardrail was what looked like the remains of an Isuzu COE box truck. The cab was crushed in from hitting a rather large tree and it looked like someone was still in the seat and I don't think he was alive. Not much could survive with the amount of space taken up from the cab by that tree.

It looked like he wasn't paying attention to the road and lost control, hitting the shoulder and then the tree stopped him. Pretty messy.

I have yet been able to find any news about it, it happened on I-90 east of Cleveland early afternoon yesterday.

You have a point a conventional has the engine in front of you as well as the 5 feet or so of the frame in front of you a COE has sheet metal at your toes, like a VW bus :eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually if you are talking about a splity, then I would agree with you but I've seen bays been hit and bang into a tree and it didn't seem to fold like this Isuzu did.

Anyone been able to find any info, I called down to one of the tv stations there and they didn't hear anything.

Deville

Not a Member
i bought a 91 isuzu npr for 5500 i think its a pretty good truck with the 4cyl diesel i get over 20mpg.it has 143k miles,was a one owner.the coe design takes some getting used to though.anybody ever owned one?whats the major problems to look out for?i am going to lease it out so i can get the feel for the buisness.and believe it or not i like the auto tranny good firm shifter.i am confused over a couple things its got a 24volt switch on the dash but its got 12v batteries.its also got a switch ECO whats that mean economy? finally its got a switch on the signal lever and a switch on the dash that light up the same instrument panel light?my guess would be engine brake.i would like to hear what you all got to say:+

Since the late 90's I owned 3 UD's (1600, 1200 & an 1800) very comparable to the Isuzu. I liked the 1600 the best, it was a very quiet smooth running diesel, it was a 6cyl. the 1200 was a 4 cyl, but actually had more power than the 6 but was loud like a big truck. The 1800 was more like the 1600, bigger motor, not as loud as the 1200 but still felt like a truck.

In any event, they were all good trucks, they can take a beating, but the rides are rough. I stopped driving them altogether a few years ago. Not sure why it has a 24 volt outlet, yes that is an exaust brake on the signal lever. you can leave it on while you run , it turns on & off with the gas pedal.

Front crashs of any kind are potentiol death traps in any cab over.My driver crashed my 1600, he rear ended another truck. He was lucky the passenger side took the hit & not the driver side, the truck was totaled!

I would get another cabover only if it had an air seat.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
the better part of about 15 years ago, I used to deliver to 18 stores in FL with one of those Izuzu NPR's with a 16 foot box from Miami to Orlando. They are great in town- alot like a concrete mixer, great under about 45 to 50 mph. But over that for any time and your going to feel it. I used to throw a cab curtain up though and put a lot of gear behind the seat on the floor and sleep in the cab. The notion of one of these hauling expedited freight across state lines is... well, not a good idea to be rather blunt. I would go after a KW K100E before I went after an Isuzu NPR in expedited freight. Good luck to you, and like it was mentioned above, don't forget your helmet.

Pianoguy

Seasoned Expediter
We have several NPRs for our piano business. Have had them since they came out in 1989, the newer 2009 models have a TON of emissions stuff on them, yes they ride rough but you can buy an aftermarket air ride seat for it ( drivers) it is really low profile though.

I've never had any back issues even with handling the heavy pianos, so I wouldnt really notice if the ride was that bad. Supposedly 90% of them are still out there registered. Not sure about the 20 mpg claim.

We've never had a single solitary major issue come up with any of the trucks ever. We have a 2003 NPR with 560k miles on that one all driven in state. Minor things like mirrors delaminating over time from vibration 80.00. An a/c compressor going out which was 500.00. and a couple heater box fan motors at 20 bucks each. replacing the floor boards in the box but compared to the Chevys and Fords we had prior to 1989 there is no comparision for dependability.

Make sure you tell whoever puts tires on that the Drivers side does have reverse threads on the lugs ( righty to loosen) You will have to tell them every time. You want to run 215/85r 16s all the way around.

If you ever run out of fuel dont fall for that dealer tow to the shop just put fuel in, reach down to the hand pump located under the fuel pump, unscrew it and pump the pressure back up, get a wrench and bleed the injectors and you'll be running in minutes. Basically do your PM schedule and drive carefully.

RickJamesBish

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello.. I just purchased a used 2001 NPR HD 4cyl Diesel. I purchased it mainly for our move but will use it afterwards. I am currently changing fluids for the move. Is it possible to completely change the transmission fluid on your own with basic tools ? I already drained the pan using drain plug and based on how much came out I'm assuming the bulk of it is in the torque converter. No idea how to drain and fill that. Any help appreciated. I'm assuming worse case is input back new fluid to replace what I drained from the pan.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Remove the spin on transmission filter, install a new filter pre-filled with Dextron ATF. Drain the fluid an replace the fluid with new. I worked at a dealer for 10 years and that.s how we did it. Its not that it cant be done. But you would need a flushing machine and they are expensive. Drain and re-fil or take it to a dedicated transmission shop that has a power flushing machine.