ISUZU N SERIES TRANSMISSIONS

zenn7

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im a novice and not even close to a mechanic. But I do want to learn and understand.

So the 4HK1 (T & TC...?) engines are in 100's of thousands of truck from the early 2000's to the present. The hp ratings range from 175 to 215.
What's that all about? Is Isuzu detuning the engines because the trannys that have evolved along the way couldn't handle the torque??.

Found a 2008 NRR up here in Canada with a seized 200 hp engine going for 4800.00 obo Cad.
Just might buy it tomorrow as the owners given me a deadline. Want to drop a rebuilt or good low mileage engine in. It only has the 4 speed tranny it(model # ? Aisin ? ( Supposedly fixed he says??...)

Any way heres the point.
..Found a good used 2013 4HK1 Engine in the states that still has the (I'm guessing Aisin 465 tranny) attached to it being sold together mated .Ive read this tranny is a winner with 210 hp output....or can handle everything the 4HK1 puts out??

I realize there would be certain givens like a new console shifter indicating 6 speeds(and double lockup over drive). Could I also put in a new instrument gauge unit??..and make it all work?

Any advice on this being DOABLE would truly appreciated.
Isuzu NRR truck 5.2 liter diesel automatic - engine seized | Heavy Trucks | Edmonton | Kijiji

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Mixing and matching different transmissions and engines is going to cause nearly unsolvable wiring headaches. Everything is computer controlled, and they all have to be programmed to play together nicely.

You're going to spend more making this Frankenstein function than you would if you'd have bought an already operational truck.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app