Isn't it funny how things change?

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Tod and I sat on our front porch last Wednesday evening. Our first grandchild was born earlier in the day and it was time for reflection.

I thought back two years ago before we started driving and asked myself, What would my priorities have been then? Sadly this is what I thought of:

What would I wear to work the next day?
How clutterted was my desk?
Who did I have to call first thing in the morning?
What did I not get finished today?
It's the end of the month, when will I get home tomorrow?
Would my Fed Ex deliveries be on time so I could keep my schedule? LOL

As an escrow agent for a title company my world was ringing phones, reprinting documents, and working late.

Now, today it is all about getting home to my family. Somedays I don't even read a newspaper, look at a television, or even get upset about things I can do nothing about. I don't know what the interest rate is or the latest gossip at the Courthouse or what bank bought out another and I LOVE IT!

I would have never thought being away from home would bring me closer to the people I love. Now, it's all about quality time.

How has your world changed?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I have to say, I've been thinking about stuff like that lately. Our second is on the way, and I'm going to have to think seriously about my priorities when he does come. Currently, I make it home about every three weeks. I love spending time with my daughter, but it's hard to tell how things are with my wife. She's happy I'm finally succeeding out here, but it feels like we've grown apart some. The quality time isn't there for us.

Part-time husband/father doesn't feel right to me. But, for now, I'm surviving it. You may have control of your business out here, but it's hard to be king of the castle when you're hundreds or thousands of miles from your abode.

I'm looking forward to when I can build up to being a fleet owner, and possibly dispatch those trucks. That way I can home school my kids, and be there for my trucks... oh... and my wife ;)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
For Bob and I we where able to wait to get into this life style till our kids where in collage. We had 9 to 5 jobs and wanted to do something different. Boy talk about different. There used to be a night and a day not a 24 hour clock. There used to be an alarm clock not a qualcomm that goes off when ever it wants. There used to be meals at regular hours. We came home went our separate ways to maintain our house, seven acres, nice yard, and animals, and then try to figure out how we could spend time together. We decided it wasnt worth it, sold everything, bought a truck and now have common goals. We get to see our kids often as they both have settled in large towns. We have also found with out schedule they can call about any time they want and one of us is awake and more then happy to talk to them without a TV or home chores to distract us. We never watch TV so catch all of our news on the radio. The weather concerns us more then it ever used to and in the winter I spend lots of time watching the storms. We have seen more, done more, and enjoyed each other more in the past years then we had in the twenty before. We still believe this is a great way of life.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>I would have never thought being away from home would bring
>me closer to the people I love. Now, it's all about quality
>time.
>
>How has your world changed?

That was an unexpected surprise to Diane and me as well. Being on the road enables us to see friends and relatives that used to live in distant areas but are not distant any more. When the freight takes us close, we're able to call on freinds and realatives that may live nearby. Before we became expediters, we may have never visited some of those folks or seen them only briefly at funerals, weddings or such.

For an example, see:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID21/92.html

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I drive a solo van. Our kids are grown and on their own. My wife and I share less time together, but it is quality time now. It is ironic, but right before I started expediting, we both discovered a hobby we BOTH enjoyed. We are now quilters. Now, when I am home, my little fingers are busy with the sewing machine and the scissors. I must admit, I am a darned good sewing guy. My wife spends a lot of time with her 15 hour a week job and quilting guilds, quilt lessons, and so on.

:+ :+

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Be careful you don't start something out there, theoldprof. The idea of a half-dozen truckers bringing their kits inside and sitting in a quilting circle in a truck stop lobby is spooky. It would make it more difficult to get to the showers. I can hear them now..."Look here guys, I embroidered this piece to match my tatoo!"

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
theoldprof

Hey I bought a Feather Lite sewing machine so I could sew in the truck and not take up much room. I like to do miniature paper piecing and am just learning. I have lots of help from Bob's mom and it is a great past time. Lots of men quilt and are very good at it. I am still behind on my cross stitching but hope to get back to quilting this winter. Great Hobby.