Is this worth it or would it even work?

PC1978

New Recruit
Researching
I’ve got a feeling I know the answer but figured I’d post it to see if there may actually be some opportunities to get loads with my situation.

I own a bread distribution territory in the Raleigh, NC area. FYI, it is a contractually protected territory - franchise style business, but extremely simple business model.

It is a good gig.
I enjoy the simplicity of the work (saves my mental energy for things I enjoy).
I make decent money ($90k net last year).
From the time I arrive at the depot to the time I leave for home for the day, I work on average 38 hours a week.

Before I bought the territory I was in retail management and used to working 50-70 hours a week.
I found this forum while looking into opportunities to earn some side money with my truck.

The truck is a cab over engine, 18’ box, with liftgate.
Is not quite dock height.
Haven’t had it on a scale, but based on the chassis weight and estimated box/liftgate weight would likely have a payload over 8000 lbs.

My ideal situation would be to find a load out of Raleigh (or surrounding areas) on Tuesday mornings and something in the general direction back on Wednesdays.
And it wouldn’t have to be every week, just when it works out/are loads available.
Obviously the bread business supports the expenses of the truck, so this would just be to go out on the road a couple of days a week.

However, it sounds like I would have increase my cargo insurance up to $100k (currently $7,500) so that would have to be factored into the numbers.
And taking on more miles over just my current local miles may also increase insurance rates.
So any input on those rates is appreciated.

I could likely use paper logs, since the bread business is local/exempt, and running freight would be a max of 8 days a month and likely less.
But based on timing, the run out of Raleigh would probably have to be 600 miles max.

I enjoy driving, and I am somewhat introverted and enjoy time alone - thinking, listening to music or podcasts, and am pretty sure I would enjoy a couple days a week on the road.
This would really be to give me something productive to do with some of my time where I’m not working the bread territory.
However, I have no desire to get another job where there are employer/boss/employee expectations and dynamics, and required (or expected) scheduled work hours.
That’s part of the reason why I left my job to get the bread territory.

Just putting it out there to see if there is any type of reasonable expectation that there would be any types of companies or loads that would have work for this situation.

Prior to the lockdowns I did have a side hustle where I would help with local pick-ups and deliveries for people.
I was getting 2-4 jobs a week.
Most jobs are $150, but additional charges for any miles over 75 round trip or combined load/unload over 1 hour.
Just started posting ads again on craigslist and Facebook marketplace, so we’ll see if that gets traction.

But I think I would enjoy doing a couple runs of freight a week more than those local retail customer deliveries.
But if it isn’t feasible with my situation or wouldn’t be able to actually make any money then obviously it wouldn’t work out.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I’ve got a feeling I know the answer but figured I’d post it to see if there may actually be some opportunities to get loads with my situation.

I own a bread distribution territory in the Raleigh, NC area. FYI, it is a contractually protected territory - franchise style business, but extremely simple business model.

It is a good gig.
I enjoy the simplicity of the work (saves my mental energy for things I enjoy).
I make decent money ($90k net last year).
From the time I arrive at the depot to the time I leave for home for the day, I work on average 38 hours a week.

Before I bought the territory I was in retail management and used to working 50-70 hours a week.
I found this forum while looking into opportunities to earn some side money with my truck.

The truck is a cab over engine, 18’ box, with liftgate.
Is not quite dock height.
Haven’t had it on a scale, but based on the chassis weight and estimated box/liftgate weight would likely have a payload over 8000 lbs.

My ideal situation would be to find a load out of Raleigh (or surrounding areas) on Tuesday mornings and something in the general direction back on Wednesdays.
And it wouldn’t have to be every week, just when it works out/are loads available.
Obviously the bread business supports the expenses of the truck, so this would just be to go out on the road a couple of days a week.

However, it sounds like I would have increase my cargo insurance up to $100k (currently $7,500) so that would have to be factored into the numbers.
And taking on more miles over just my current local miles may also increase insurance rates.
So any input on those rates is appreciated.

I could likely use paper logs, since the bread business is local/exempt, and running freight would be a max of 8 days a month and likely less.
But based on timing, the run out of Raleigh would probably have to be 600 miles max.

I enjoy driving, and I am somewhat introverted and enjoy time alone - thinking, listening to music or podcasts, and am pretty sure I would enjoy a couple days a week on the road.
This would really be to give me something productive to do with some of my time where I’m not working the bread territory.
However, I have no desire to get another job where there are employer/boss/employee expectations and dynamics, and required (or expected) scheduled work hours.
That’s part of the reason why I left my job to get the bread territory.

Just putting it out there to see if there is any type of reasonable expectation that there would be any types of companies or loads that would have work for this situation.

Prior to the lockdowns I did have a side hustle where I would help with local pick-ups and deliveries for people.
I was getting 2-4 jobs a week.
Most jobs are $150, but additional charges for any miles over 75 round trip or combined load/unload over 1 hour.
Just started posting ads again on craigslist and Facebook marketplace, so we’ll see if that gets traction.

But I think I would enjoy doing a couple runs of freight a week more than those local retail customer deliveries.
But if it isn’t feasible with my situation or wouldn’t be able to actually make any money then obviously it wouldn’t work out.
I'm not so sure expedite is what you should look at.
You might want to check out a same day delivery or currier company.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stick with what you have and use any free time for a hobby, reading, sport, volunteering or whatever. You might find freight now and then but it will be sporadic and random and very likely returning empty negating most of any profit made on the run out.

PC1978

New Recruit
Researching
Stick with what you have and use any free time for a hobby, reading, sport, volunteering or whatever. You might find freight now and then but it will be sporadic and random and very likely returning empty negating most of any profit made on the run out.
That will probably end up being the way I go.
The local delivery gig I post on Craigslist does give me some extracurricular work.

Though I think I would enjoy doing some longer runs over short local retail deliveries, probably will be hard to find loads where the math makes sense and/or companies wanting to work with someone doing it as a side gig.

And figured I would at least look into options.

PC1978

New Recruit
Researching
I'm not so sure expedite is what you should look at.
You might want to check out a same day delivery or currier company.
Ok, I’ll do some research.
Just would have to find someone willing to work with limited availability and knowing they aren’t my only or main priority.
Even when you aren’t an employee, the party with the work generally has a set of expectations about your “dedication.”

I was looking at a courier load board, and there is consistent deliveries out of Raleigh and Winston Salem to Illinois.
But that distance would be pushing the limit for available hours, and would have to have some sort of load back (even if it wasn’t all the back to Raleigh) for it to make sense.

Amazon Relay also looked promising, but I’m not sure they use 18’ box trucks non dock height. I’ll have to dig a little deeper. But I think it’s 26’ only.

I did work with a company called Pick-up for a couple months. Kind of like Uber for large item deliveries
But the rates just didn’t work for a box truck, and I don’t generally keep my box truck at home so much more difficult to get runs that make sense, as it is set up pretty much like Uber.
I started driving my box truck home more to be ready for runs, but the rates are built for pickup trucks and not great even for them.

But that did give me the idea for doing it on my own, and being able to keep the all the income.
At $150 for a delivery, average of 3 hours of my time and 5-10 gallons of fuel the math works for me.