Is this realistic

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
I’m again considering expediting and one of my concerns is the lack of exercise. I would like be able to use health clubs across the country several times a week to stay in shape, and use the showers. I have this idea in my head that by driving a Straight truck there is a lot more freedom to get off of the truck routes to do so. Is this a realistic line of thought?
Thanks
Frank

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have talked with drivers who have gym memberships some use them regularly and others just get day passes.

Expedite freight is hectic and unpredictable.

Do you want to go out of service to go into gym and workout? You will lose out on loads while doing this and the reason for being out here on the road is to earn money by hauling freight.

When you stop for the night as a solo you have a ten hour break. Do you shut down early to go find a gym and add those miles to your log? Can you park at the gym all night long so as to get your ten hour break? If you work out for a couple hours then move to a truck stop will that start your logs?

The easiest way to do this is to haul your own portable gym. I have seen guys set up a gym beside their truck and inside the box of their truck. I have seen people who carry weights and various exercise equipment inside the sleeper of the truck. You can then workout in your truck go get a shower and go to bed without having to move the truck and log.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Unfortunatley the Fed doesn't seem to want to recognize "personal miles" with their EOBR's from what I have been reading.

Looks like your "lifestyle" just got a bit more restrictive.:(

Not everybody however is under the Fed's thumb (yet).:D

For those that still have the freedom to log "personal miles", my suggestion would be to get a membership with one of the larger national chains that are open 24/7 that way you should have no problem finding one of their franchises in every major centre and if open 24/7 not only can you work out whenever you want you should also have no problem parking there for the night after the work out (unless maybe you were thinking of driving TT).

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Frank, not a big deal.

I think you will have to choose the company carefully and have some solid goals to what you expect out of this. If you are expecting 'Freedom' it may not be all that free as some make it out as.

Like my company, we do not have line five (driving - off duty) and the company doesn't recognized it as a requirement but many of us fit things and remain legal. It takes a bit of planning and because the company is a bit more free than most of the others, the issue of the EOBRs and freedom is a non-issue when you come down to it.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Anytime Fitness is nice for those of use that don't keep a 9 to 5 schedule, not sure how many locations they have, or if the key fob will work at various locations, but definately something to look into. In addition, if you were able to go to various locations, you would get free showers:)

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for all of the input everyone. sounds like it might be something I could work into my schedule sometimes. What companies do you think would allow the most leeway?

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Like my company, we do not have line five (driving - off duty) and the company doesn't recognized it as a requirement but many of us fit things and remain legal. It takes a bit of planning and because the company is a bit more free than most of the others, the issue of the EOBRs and freedom is a non-issue when you come down to it.

This is true for the most part. Usually anything I need to do personally I can work into my "on duty" schedule. I think there has only been two times in the last two years that I have actually needed to log personal miles, and that was only because I was layed over for the day and didn't want to "start the clock".

Last edited: