Cargo Van Is there no future here?

Robert A Rutherford

New Recruit
Researching
Hey everyone, total newbie to expediting, but not to trucking life. The wife can no longer drive CDL vehicles so we thought of looking into expedite vans, but from the post I've gone through guess that's not an option? Be fair and tell me the truth(at least as you see it)

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
It's not for everybody, that is for sure. It all depends on what your personal needs are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawrence

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have no debt it can be done. As cheap a vehicle a you're comfortable with, try to find out company that won't force you to buy after its 5 years old; I'm surviving by taking local courier type work as well; I don't wait around after a drop, but deadhead to the next available run/good freight area...older vehicle means I've dropped the collision meaning I save over 50% where I live...no takeout food...your own maintenance & parts store commercial discount, fixing your own vehicle pays better per hour than expediting...unlimited ways to save money, but keep in mind very few companies are taking on vans and it's pretty tight with a co driver in a loaded van

Reactions: Jim Tropf II

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wouldn't say it's not a option. Teams are a advantage for longer loads. Comfort is a bit of a problem.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey everyone, total newbie to expediting, but not to trucking life. The wife can no longer drive CDL vehicles so we thought of looking into expedite vans, but from the post I've gone through guess that's not an option? Be fair and tell me the truth(at least as you see it)
truth from over 16 yr veteran...DON"T do it.....do yourself a favor....lot less heartache dealing with MacD's or even a Walmart greeter....this isn't what it once was, not even close....and not one sign its going to recover....carriers right now are cutting rates and perks for them to survive....

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whats that Clint Eastwood quote?.....You feeling lucky today?
Gotta be lucky for sure, I bad decision and your broke. Wrong carrier, broke, pick the wrong van, broke, take the long wrong load, broke... Crap I just talked myself out of expediting!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Carriers....they blame supply and demand as part of the problem....I hear of so many still putting vans on......what a crock....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When you say your wife can no longer drive CDL vehicles, is that about physical limitations or is it a license issue? Teams we know come to mind who are quite happy and apparently successful in their cargo-van expediting business but they are CDL capable in that they have HAZMAT endorsements and can haul those loads.They also have security clearances that make them eligible to haul other kinds of loads.

To fully research your question, you might want to get a carrier recruiter's help in connecting with married-couple cargo-van teams so you can interview them to learn if the opportunity is for you. Find at least three teams that model the expediting life you want and learn all you can from them.

Reactions: Turtle and TDave

Robert A Rutherford

New Recruit
Researching
Hey A Team, thanks for the reply. She has loss some vision in one of her eyes(enough to pull CDL med card) that's why we were looking into non CDL driving jobs. I'm getting in touch with several teams now, so your idea is a good one!

Reactions: TDave