Is there a way to hook phone up to laptop for internet?

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I'm just wondering if there is a way that I could hook up my Verizon Droid to my laptop and use the 3G internet. I hooked it up to my laptop previously with my phone charger usb cable but I don't know how to access the internet from my laptop.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You gotta buy that. I'm cheap.:rolleyes:

It's free unless you want to be able to access secured accounts like banking.

A few days ago you were looking to buy a 700.00 camera but you don't want to spend 18 bucks on a product someone has put years of their time into creating and keeping updated? You are an Obama supporter aren't you.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You gotta buy that. I'm cheap.:rolleyes:
I'm morally and ethically opposed to paying for software, but PdaNet is a bargain at twice the price. There are no free tethering apps for unrooted phones, and Verizon is now following AT&T's lead in cracking down on rooted phones which use unsanctioned tethering apps:

Carriers crack down on unauthorized cell phone tethering - CNN

Verizon now cracking down on jailbreak tethering | TekGoblin

Verizon blocks unlicensed tethering, insists it can charge extra

Verizon Finally Blocking Unauthorized Tethering Apps

You can Pay Verizon the Data Plan $30 Tethering for 4G Customers monthly fee, every month, for native, officially sanctioned tethering on the Droid.

$360 a year for Verizon's tethering, or a one-time fee of $15.95 for PdaNet. Tough call. But see below* as it all might come crashing down any day now.

There is a good tethering app that's cheaper than PdaNet, EasyTether at $9.95. Some people prefer it. It also has a trial version.

* One thing to keep in mind about all of this is that Verizon and the others don't like it that we can tether without paying them the monthly fee, despite the fact that data is data is data, and they're trying to figure out
a way to prevent it. (make sure you click that last one, for sure).

I'm tethered at the moment using PdaNet.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
It's free unless you want to be able to access secured accounts like banking.

A few days ago you were looking to buy a 700.00 camera but you don't want to spend 18 bucks on a product someone has put years of their time into creating and keeping updated? You are an Obama supporter aren't you.
I'm gonna buy a camera eventually. yeah, I liked Obama at first, but so far has shown a lack of leadership in my opinion. But then again, when ya got a retardlican controlled house what can ya do?? The democraps in the senate are worthless too. Not happy with a lot of them right now.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Does your phone have WIFI ACCESS, My T MOBILE Samsung S has WIFI and I simply use my Computer as the WIFI Connection, You could use a cheap Router the same way, Walmrat sells the Routers and you setup WIFI access, I use this at my home as my Cell service is spotty at home, with the router and WIFI Connection its perfect, in the truck the router also helps me access WIFI Hotspots from a distance with better reception.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Latest pdanet 3.5 will allow you to you to create a wifi hotspots for your laptop or other wireless devices.

Sent from my DROID X2 using EO Forums

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Just seen what Turtle noted bout Verizon. I keep the wireless tether app (rooted droidx) launched and active pretty much 24/7 .....and have the past 12 months or so. Both a laptop and Ipad are used off and on for days- weeks on end. Im not doing any type of downloading and just use it for surfing and messeging both in/out. Am I needing to worry bout gettin busted by the big red ?

Edit: to answer my own question

Was able to speak with verizon, and tho the setup im using may not meet their approved criteria, I have been reasonably assured, my type of usage wouldn't even be a blip on their radar. So thank you verizon...I will remain tethered 24/7 as usuall

Last edited: