Is OnMyWay a good candidate resource?

A

angy_beshay

Hi everyone,
I have been into the recruiting field now for almost a year, but I can see that the resources for finding candidates is getting worse, with zip-recruiter payment so high and the candidates are of no quality... So I was doing a research on finding candidates and I found a site called OnMyWay their fee is so good, has anyone heard of it or tried it??? If someone did please advice.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
"Candidates of no quality" I expect you can fine a number of "candidates" who feel the same about recruiters.:D

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Word of mouth created by offering a quality experience. It gets no better than that.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Well I don't know, my truck has been setting a month awaiting a good driver . Plenty have applied but none have qualified.

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
This is the worst I have seen it for recruiting owner ops and drivers. I am not surprised Dynamite 1 cant find a good driver for that truck. We are all competing against companies hiring drivers as employees with all the bennies!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There's the answer...
Offer people payroll, benefits, and fill your seats.
And reap the benefits of forced dispatch.

My father had to work hard and smart to afford his union drivers.
The job was important enough to them that they showed up, worked hard, and were safe.
People stayed 20 plus years. One guy 35!
No rookie mistakes. If he wanted to add a truck, he'd mention to the drivers and the phone would ring.

We had both union and non-union companies at different times.

The union one was actually more profitable.

He never let the union push him around.
His stock answer was "I can sell the trucks and go golfing tomorrow."

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
People can down the union when 99% of them have never had any association with the teamsters. When I drove union for a couple of decades I never saw a problem with drivers not showing up or doing the wrong thing, they sort of policed their own, because they were paid a professional wage.
As far as finding good quality drivers, most have retired or gone on to other things because frankly the owners of large trucking company's have thrown away the older quality drivers for young, non ethical, sloppy, with work ethics of a worm. Young people in general are just sorry. Sorry to say but it's the truth. Another sad thing is it isn't actually their fault, it's their parents.

Carriers won't get together and systematically raise the rates so no one company suffers more than the other. It takes most large carriers about $5k to get a new driver up to speed so they can turn a profit for the carrier. Trucking company's in general are their own worst enemy.

What most recruiters don't even realize is when a driver quits and goes to another truck load carrier all their doing is changing colors of their truck. It takes a couple of weeks to get up to speed for a drivers pay so they don't gain anything because they don't stay on board long enough to make a difference in their end of the year pay. Why? Because most can't figure it out. Sorry but this is generally the truth.

It's really sad how this industry has gone steadily down hill in the last 40 years. Their are more professional drivers driving Expedite rigs then in all of general trucking. Recruiters generally are trying to paint their carrier as the best thing since slice bread when in fact that loaf of bread has mold all through the center of the slice.

When I was searching for my last team to hire, I had a couple come to me six months out of school. I have nothing bad to say about the school but these two were completely lost. The lady only had a permit because she couldn't pass the CDL drivers test. She tried to tell me the reason she failed was because the examiners couldn't take their eyes off her T's. I ran her out of my office and told her not to come back. That's the quality you get.

Sorry had to rant.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
One of my retirement home choices has a beautiful 52 x 96 barn built for semis. 14x14 oh doors, etc.
I've often thought that when I retire I should try expediting with employees.

Curious as to if I could afford it. Would I attract seasoned, veteran teams ?

I do know I would require every other PM to be done in my shop, so a decent job could be done.
I'd want the truck for 24 hrs and provide the drivers with a hotel and a vehicle.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
For you, free concert tickets, once per quarter. Miss Kat is the type of driver I would need to have a chance.

Walmart hired about 350 drivers last year. They had 13,000+ applicants.
Probably because a first year Walmart driver averages $76,000 per year.

I listened to a guy from Martin Transport on XM this morning.
They get it.
They test all drivers for sleep apnea at the company's expense. Provide a CPAP machine at company expense for as long as you stay.
They have 400 drivers on the program.
If a company abuses detention and doesn't pay, they walk away from the freight. They pay $20 per hour detention wether they get paid or not.
They also pay $20 per hour trl downtime, inclement weather pay, and local work.
They have 100% APU fleet which puts their idle time at 2%.

And they just came off the most profitable qtr in company history.

Last edited: