Is landstar still the leader in expediting?

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Has Express America done anything for there drivers. Have they improved there system for getting there trucks loaded? I heard there agents have become lazy and don't try to find new customers.A driver told me the agents put there fright on other companys truck and keep the spoils from there drivers,when asked if this is true they where told Landstar is really designed as a Big Truck operation,and they not geared up for small trucks!Is any of this true?

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Probably a lot of gossip there if you ask me. They have good agents and bad ones. Each agent is different. As a carrier, being Landstar approved is a good thing. Some of their agents give us some darn good loads, and other agents are a pain to deal with. It's simply what you get with an agent system instead of a central dispatch.

As for giving loads to outside carriers, everyone does that. Our drivers don't want every load we offer them. What am I supposed to do with the ones they don't want?

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
With Landstar (really anywhere) whether you're inside leased on to them or an outside carrier working with them it's all about relationships you establish and your own reputation for doing what you said you would, if you have any standards or lines in the sand - whether you get good freight or not.

Whenever I see or hear comments like these:

I heard there agents have become lazy and don't try to find new customers.A driver told me the agents put there fright on other companys truck and keep the spoils from there drivers,when asked if this is true they where told Landstar is really designed as a Big Truck operation,and they not geared up for small trucks!

I automatically think this is an operator in over their head who thinks the good stuff just gets handed out on silver platters and all you have to do is show up. The real world doesn't work that way you have to go out and get it.

guido4475

Not a Member
Has Express America done anything for there drivers. Have they improved there system for getting there trucks loaded? I heard there agents have become lazy and don't try to find new customers.A driver told me the agents put there fright on other companys truck and keep the spoils from there drivers,when asked if this is true they where told Landstar is really designed as a Big Truck operation,and they not geared up for small trucks!Is any of this true?

IMO, the corporate part of Landstar doesn't care what the agent does with the load, as long as they get their share, or cut of the money from the load. I'm not saying this out of dis-respect, but from what I know and hear from friends I still talk to when I was there. They are a good company, or at least they were when I was there around 99.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Is Landstar still the leader in expediting? That question can be answered in a number of ways depending on what you mean by leader. Until we understand exactly what you are asking, the question cannot be properly answered.

I can say that moving to Landstar Experess America was the best move we ever made as expediters. If we re-entered the business, Landstar would be the first company we would call.

What you heard from a driver should be carefully weighed. Landstar agents have full discretion in choosing the trucks and drivers they work with. If a driver feels like he is getting routinely passed over, there may be reasons for it that have more to do with the driver than the agent.

We met a good number of agents in our time with Landstar. I know of none that are lazy. There are many who have developed major accounts or a good book of smaller accounts and are working those instead of working new leads.

Landstar does not let just any Tom, Dick or Harry become a Landstar agent. Only experienced agents are considered and they must have a book of business that shows them to already be successful in the industry.

That does not mean that they are all perfect or all joys to work with. In our experience with dozens of agents, we "fired" two; meaning that we decided to never do business with them again. That was not because they were lazy or unsuccessful. It was because human beings sometimes rub other human beings the wrong way. Where that happened with us, the solution was simple. We simply crossed them off our list. Quite nice, we thought, to have a list of agents that was deep and wide.

Landstar has no company trucks.

Landstar has many operations under its flag. Some of them are big-truck operations. One of them is Landstar Express America which is an expedited carrier that has only small trucks in the fleet. As small-truck owner-operators we did great at Landstar and also benefited from Landstar's big-truck operations in certain ways that were not available to us when we ran with another expedite carrier.

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
It seems so subjective to me anyway. What constitutes a top carrier? If you just look at sales volume you will get one figure and you might be inclined to rank them that way, but that might not be the best criteria to rank which carrier is the best fit for a particular driver. We have drivers who came from larger carriers and are happy here. We also have drivers who have come here and weren't happy and went back to a larger carrier. Not every carrier is a good fit for every driver and not every driver is a good fit for every carrier. Just looking at size or sales volume won't tell you a whole heck of a lot about how you would fit there. What's the difference between a small outfit and a large outfit if the trucks are averaging the same miles or the same pay, or in some cases better miles and pay?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would say that FedEx Custom Critical (Formerly Roberts Express) is the leader in Expedite Freight. They have been the leader for the last twenty years that I have been in Expedited Freight. Many carriers are trying to knock them off as being the leader in Expedite Freight, but none have done it yet. Panther is not far behind FedEx Custom Critical as far as growth and fleet size. Many people started out as employees, drivers, and owner operators with FedEx Custom Critical but have moved on to other carriers. FedEx Custom Critical has the biggest fleet with 1379 followed by Panther 1020, Bolt 310, Landstar Express America 248, XPO Express 220, Load1 218, Try Hours 71, TST Expedite 57, and Nations Express 50. Tri State and All State was not listed on Safer Web under those names.

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Landstar Express America does not have any Tractors. We only have straights and vans on the Express side unlike the other carriers listed which have tractors included in the count.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Many carriers list or do not list equipment on safer. Cargo vans/sprinters tend to be the big questionable number. Some carriers Bruno has listed report these in their unit count others like ourselves do not.

T270 listed an older Journal of Commerce Article. They recently published an interesting article in June about expedite and updated the list for 2013 numbers.

http://www.joc.com/trucking-logisti...-and-security-—-pharma-shippers_20140627.html

TOP 5 EXPEDITED CARRIERS IN 2013
2013 Rank Carrier name 2012 revenue (In millions of dollars) 2013 revenue (In millions of dollars) Year-over-year percent change
1 FedEx Custom Critical $393 $390 -0.8%
2 Panther Expedited Services $194 $209 7.7%
3 Landstar Express America $137 $131 -4.4%
4 Express-1 (XPO Express) $94 $102 8.5%
5 Load One $69 $82 19.2%

TOTAL TOP 5 EXPEDITED CARRIERS $887 $914 3.1%

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
many carriers list or do not list equipment on safer. Cargo vans/sprinters tend to be the big questionable number. Some carriers bruno has listed report these in their unit count others like ourselves do not.

T270 listed an older journal of commerce article. They recently published an interesting article in june about expedite and updated the list for 2013 numbers.

http://www.joc.com/trucking-logisti...-and-security-—-pharma-shippers_20140627.html

top 5 expedited carriers in 2013
2013 rank carrier name 2012 revenue (in millions of dollars) 2013 revenue (in millions of dollars) year-over-year percent change
1 fedex custom critical $393 $390 -0.8%
2 panther expedited services $194 $209 7.7%
3 landstar express america $137 $131 -4.4%
4 express-1 (xpo express) $94 $102 8.5%
5 load one $69 $82 19.2%

total top 5 expedited carriers $887 $914 3.1%

now who's your daddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What is the best carrier is the one where you fit and can make the most money. If you are with the best or the worst and you are miserable then who cares how much the carrier makes?

The bottom line to me is where do you fit to run the way you like with the best income for you. Each person needs to do their own research and find where they fit.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is all about the "dollas" and the least amount of madness to contend with. No reason to sugarcoat anything.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I was only reporting fleet size from what is showing on Safer Web. I posted the leaders in truck size that was reported. As far as gross Revenue John Elliott listed what he found. FedEx Custom Critical has been the leader in Expedited Freight for many years. Every driver and Owner Operator may feel their carrier is the leader or the best. It don't really matter to be honest at the end of the day. What matters the most is what carrier are you happy with. Some may like Load1 and some may like TST Expedited Services. I think all these companies are great.

Sent from my SM-N900P using EO Forums mobile app

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
now who's your daddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really as a Moderator your trying to start drama. Come on Tom you need a rag to remove some of that brown on your nose.

Sent from my SM-N900P using EO Forums mobile app