Is it a bad time

rjleftlane

Expert Expediter
So considering rising fuel prices, and all other economy factors what’s everyone’s take on getting into the expedited industry currently.

J9Cav

New Recruit
Researching
Would either of you mind elaborating? This is something my husband and I have been heavily researching for a while, already spoke with a fleet owner, and plan on getting our CDL Bs in the next month.
The fleet owner said we sounded like a really good match for this lifestyle, but I know they are also a business. I'd love to hear the opinion of current drivers out there on the status of things, and if it truly is or isn't a great time to get into expediting.
Thank you in advance!

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Would either of you mind elaborating? This is something my husband and I have been heavily researching for a while, already spoke with a fleet owner, and plan on getting our CDL Bs in the next month.
The fleet owner said we sounded like a really good match for this lifestyle, but I know they are also a business. I'd love to hear the opinion of current drivers out there on the status of things, and if it truly is or isn't a great time to get into expediting.
Thank you in advance!
As long as your not paying for the fuel and you don't mind not moving at all with current fuel prices.

J9Cav

New Recruit
Researching
As long as your not paying for the fuel and you don't mind not moving at all with current fuel prices.
The fleet owner we spoke with offers both the typical 40/60 split and a 58/42. People have said there is still freight out there to be had, but of course what really matters if the line haul (and what we'd net) is worth moving it

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You will never find everyone saying it is a good time to do anything. From buying a truck or getting into Expediting it is always a bad time... Like any business have reserves as it will take a bit to learn the ropes and you will make mistakes. Make sure that you get everything you can to haul all types of loads and be able to go everywhere. If you are new to trucking you will have a lot to learn from sleeping to not going to bad areas. Ask a lot of questions of other drivers that have the same type of truck you will be driving and with the same company to find out where the fright is. It will be very overwhelming at first but the more you network and learn the faster you will start making money.

Reactions: Tam72 and J9Cav

J9Cav

New Recruit
Researching
You will never find everyone saying it is a good time to do anything. From buying a truck or getting into Expediting it is always a bad time... Like any business have reserves as it will take a bit to learn the ropes and you will make mistakes. Make sure that you get everything you can to haul all types of loads and be able to go everywhere. If you are new to trucking you will have a lot to learn from sleeping to not going to bad areas. Ask a lot of questions of other drivers that have the same type of truck you will be driving and with the same company to find out where the fright is. It will be very overwhelming at first but the more you network and learn the faster you will start making money.
Thank you for the encouraging words!! I need to keep in mind that everyone responds through the lens of their experiences and world view, so what might be a bad time to one person is a good time for another. I've already networked with a few drivers who are with the fleet owner we're interested in, and they are super kind, helpful, and have nothing but good things to say about the fleet owner (they don't get a cut for recruiting or anything). One guy even had over an hour long phone convo with us just answering questions and telling us about life on the road. Said we can call or text him any time with questions. It's reassuring to know there's support out there before we even start

Reactions: John49

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I started back in 2007 under Obama and we are worse under Biden.....biden managed to do in a year and a half what it took Obama 8 years....enjoy you high fuel prices.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Attitude is everything and forming a network of other drivers that stay positive is very beneficial. Expediting is a roller coaster and you have to be able to enjoy the good time and learn to live with the slow times. There are a lot of good people out here willing to help you. Whatever company you are going with know the good lanes and where you need to position yourself to stay busy and you will do fine. The more financially stable you are the easier it is as you can deal with the slow times without panicking.