Is anybody else excited about new gas powered Sprinter?

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are really interested in the new gas powered Sprinter coming out in October. There are still a lot of unknowns. We don’t even know w which mill they will put in it. I have talked to different dealers and they won’t get the info until the big reveal in September. It is being built at the new 500 million dollar plant in South Carolina and is being redesigned for the US market. Would love to have more living space room as we only take two pallets. Just have to get the Promaster to last until then. Right now it’s doing great at 425,000 miles so should be ok til we order the new one. Am I the only one excited? At least it won’t have def problems or egr valves. And they drive nickers than Ram or Ford.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
More curious then excited. Highly doubt I would seriously consider a gas Sprinter at this point, but will be fun to see the new design

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The dealers said that the gas version would be cheaper than the diesel and be competitive with the transit. Right now transit sells about 125,000 units a year compared to 25,000 Sprinters largely due to price and the cost of diesel. Since it is made in the US, parts should be easier to get. The dealer in Kansas City just built a high Sprinter repair facility in anticipation of selling many more units.

Reactions: piper1

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Aside from diesel issues, does a new Sprinter have any flaws ?
Have they improved the rust issue ?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How many gassers are in the MB line up now ?

Edit: a quick check shows. They’ve built everything imaginable. Up to a 134 liter V20.

Many gassers, with turbos or superchargers.
They’ll find something good.
They probably have a handful of EcoBoosts in various stages of disrepair.

Last edited:

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinter has a solid drive train with few problems. The springs are solid. The tranny is always a question. Don’t know which they will use. The engine is most likely the one in their suv’s which is proving to be solid. The big questions are: how many cup holders and are power seats an option. You know, the important things. I’m 5-10 my wife is 5-01. Power seats would be nice instead of the crank up ones they have now. “Note to self, marry a taller lady next time”.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As well as the F150 is doing I’d be excited to see an aluminum Transit.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'll be interested in learning more about it just for general curiosity and what if.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
2019 Sprinter will have more car like features. Big screen in the middle of the dash and power seats ect and a new design as we all know. The length won't change and with gas engines lighter it should raise the GVWR.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Should be able to haul 3000#’s legally. With the 170” ext should be 197” of floor space from seat back to back door. Gasser is most likely the 2.0L twin turbo. 188 hp. One dealer said mileage in the mid twenties with the 9 speed trans. Beats the 17.5 in my Promaster. Wish it had a V8.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Should be able to haul 3000#’s legally. With the 170” ext should be 197” of floor space from seat back to back door. Gasser is most likely the 2.0L twin turbo. 188 hp. One dealer said mileage in the mid twenties with the 9 speed trans. Beats the 17.5 in my Promaster. Wish it had a V8.
Try like 185”.

I WAS EXCITED AT 197”.
Back to curious at 185”.

Going from retirement out of a straight,to a Sprinter,just looks so confining.

Last edited:
Reactions: DollarSign