Investing in a Laptop

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
I want to buy a Laptop, wat are the best options..should I get a broadband subscription or would a good wifi antena work..also can you watch live TV from the internet(NFL, college football) how good is the picture?

Dont steal, the government hates competition. ~Ron Paul~

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have had a Dell for a few yrs now..I also have a Verizon Mifi..both work great, but I don't watch TV on it..thats what the TV is for...

If you want to stream TV, you will need a really good video card in the computer and a good way to connect to the web...and be ready to use a bunch of your air time and pay a big bill each month....

Personally, id invest in a good flatscreen tv and a "cube" and good subscription to one of the mobile services....IF watching TV is your primary concern...

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
I was trying to kill two birds with one stone..if I can get a laptop that can play DVDs n stream football games I would be ok...so I need to look for a computer with a good video card...but what abouy the wifi hotspots...couldnt I just get a good antenna hang out at amcdonalds parking lot and stream from that connection? But what is a "cube"

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The cube is the way to go if you want to watch TV.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have 19" flat screen and I have a droid razr with HDMI output...hook the 2 together and walla...with the Verizon 4g and I am still grandfatherd into the unlimited data..I haven't used my laptop in over a year...kinda obsolete now... for 7.99 p/m you can use HULU..anything and everything on there...

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I have a Toshiba Satellite and I have it connected to Verizon Jet Pack 4G LTE service. It does its job very well when it comes to DVD movies. It doesnt stream wel on truckstop or mcdonald wifi. When I am at home it is really fast though.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
With a cube or other Sat set up
1)can you get local channels( ABC,NBC,CBS)?
2) is the picture quality affected by vehicles moving around like my digital signal.

We watch very little TV but there are times when some would be nice.
Motels are perfect for NFL Sundays.
Ammortize the cost over three games viewed.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What about this thumb-drive TV tuner for over the air TV viewing?

With a USB extension cord, it could be placed just about anywhere inside the truck to position it for a good signal, could it not? It looks simple enough to use and delightfully small for use in a truck where space is at a premium.

Diane and I don't have a TV in our truck by choice, but for the rare times we wish we did, this might be a solution, yes?

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
What about this thumb-drive TV tuner for over the air TV viewing?

With a USB extension cord, it could be placed just about anywhere inside the truck to position it for a good signal, could it not? It looks simple enough to use and delightfully small for use in a truck where space is at a premium.

Diane and I don't have a TV in our truck by choice, but for the rare times we wish we did, this might be a solution, yes?

I have one...works good...turns your laptop into a dvr also..... i got mine @ best buy couple of years ago..around $80.00... i ran a good antenna and amp..worked good even has a remote..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The cube is the way to go if you want to watch TV.
I concur. I tried killing 2 birds with one stone, but it's like one size fits all clothing, they don't actually fit anybody. You can certainly stream video over the Internet, but you need a fast WiFi connection to do it, and most free WiFi isn't all that fast. You an use a 4G broadband connection, but the data plans mean you'll be paying several hundred dollars a month to do it.

I had a VuCube V-10, which worked great, but I upgraded mine to a cheaper and better Tailgater, which is the same as a Cube (the V-2000), and finds the satellites automatically, including the HD channels, and it considerably cheaper. The Tailgater is for Dish Network only ($350), however. The Tailgater is now available at Camping World. ($322)

A few weeks ago I got a new computer. Toshiba Satellite P855-S5200 at Best Buy. Good price, fast computer, bunches of RAM.

Some questions:

Yes, but generally, no. If you have local channels on the dish at home, and you are in the truck within the Spot Beam (about a 200 mile radius of the house) you'll get the same local channels. Outside that Spot Beam and you won't get them. All American Direct (ALLAMERICANDIRECT.COM the name has changed several times over the years) offers locals (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox) from either NY or San Francisco for all-4 networks from one coast is $12.99, and all-4 from both coasts are $14.99. I have both coasts, which comes in handy when I miss one show on eastern time, and can catch it 3 hours later on western time.

The coastal local channels are Standard Definition only. The FCC may be allowing Dish Network to carry distant networks (your home locals while you are on the road) some time soon, but nothing yet. They used to be able to do that, but local stations complained that travelers in the area could watch their own locals instead of the stations in the area, and the FCC caved. That may be changing back soon. You can, of course, use an HD antenna to receive the locally over-the-air broadcasts, but it's a pain in a mobile situation because you have to do a new search for locals every time, which can take up to 20 minutes. Having the locals right on the satellite itself is sweet.

2) is the picture quality affected by vehicles moving around like my digital signal.

Not really. The satellite receiver sits high on the vehicle and the satellites are high in the sky, so unless there's something in between the two, you'll get a good signal that is unaffected by moving vehicles. Trees and dense clouds will affected it, same as a dish at home.

Phil, for the occasional TV watcher, those USB TV tuners work OK. Not great, but not bad. I used one for a while. You do need a decent computer with a powerful enough CPU. But they do work rather well, and is a good option for someone not wanting a dish, or for someone to use until they realize they want a dish.

I have Dish Network with HBO and Starz, and Encore and a couple of other movie channels. I watch mostly movies and Reds games, and football. And Jerseylicious.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
I concur. I tried killing 2 birds with one stone, but it's like one size fits all clothing, they don't actually fit anybody. You can certainly stream video over the Internet, but you need a fast WiFi connection to do it, and most free WiFi isn't all that fast. You an use a 4G broadband connection, but the data plans mean you'll be paying several hundred dollars a month to do it.

I had a VuCube V-10, which worked great, but I upgraded mine to a cheaper and better Tailgater, which is the same as a Cube (the V-2000), and finds the satellites automatically, including the HD channels, and it considerably cheaper. The Tailgater is for Dish Network only ($350), however. The Tailgater is now available at Camping World. ($322)

A few weeks ago I got a new computer. Toshiba Satellite P855-S5200 at Best Buy. Good price, fast computer, bunches of RAM.

Some questions:

Yes, but generally, no. If you have local channels on the dish at home, and you are in the truck within the Spot Beam (about a 200 mile radius of the house) you'll get the same local channels. Outside that Spot Beam and you won't get them. All American Direct (ALLAMERICANDIRECT.COM the name has changed several times over the years) offers locals (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox) from either NY or San Francisco for all-4 networks from one coast is $12.99, and all-4 from both coasts are $14.99. I have both coasts, which comes in handy when I miss one show on eastern time, and can catch it 3 hours later on western time.

The coastal local channels are Standard Definition only. The FCC may be allowing Dish Network to carry distant networks (your home locals while you are on the road) some time soon, but nothing yet. They used to be able to do that, but local stations complained that travelers in the area could watch their own locals instead of the stations in the area, and the FCC caved. That may be changing back soon. You can, of course, use an HD antenna to receive the locally over-the-air broadcasts, but it's a pain in a mobile situation because you have to do a new search for locals every time, which can take up to 20 minutes. Having the locals right on the satellite itself is sweet.

Not really. The satellite receiver sits high on the vehicle and the satellites are high in the sky, so unless there's something in between the two, you'll get a good signal that is unaffected by moving vehicles. Trees and dense clouds will affected it, same as a dish at home.

Phil, for the occasional TV watcher, those USB TV tuners work OK. Not great, but not bad. I used one for a while. You do need a decent computer with a powerful enough CPU. But they do work rather well, and is a good option for someone not wanting a dish, or for someone to use until they realize they want a dish.

I have Dish Network with HBO and Starz, and Encore and a couple of other movie channels. I watch mostly movies and Reds games, and football. And Jerseylicious.

So if I have dish network at the house, I can watch it otr at no additional cost? How much battery power do you need to run a TV and sattelite ( I dont have a generator, but plan to get a mobile solar generator in near future..would that work, if im just using it for the TV and satellite n laptop.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So if I have dish network at the house, I can watch it otr at no additional cost? How much battery power do you need to run a TV and sattelite ( I dont have a generator, but plan to get a mobile solar generator in near future..would that work, if im just using it for the TV and satellite n laptop.

If you can bring your receiver from home it will be the same price otherwise you will need a second one. You will want a gas generator to run everything though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Yes, sort of. The only additional cost is for the Cube. For satellite TV, all you need is the dish and the receiver box, and they can be located at your home, or you can take them anywhere you like, same thing.

Couple of points though. The VuCube works with any receiver box, but the Dish-specific Tailgater only works with one specific receiver box, the 211k I think it is, because (so far) that's the only box that has the software to control the Tailgater. If you don't already have that box, it's $100 or $150 (I forget which). But other than that, no additional cost.

The satellite received box draws about 5 amps. And it'll draw it whether it's powered on or not, so you definitely want to unplug it or use a switched extension cord when not using it if you're running it off batteries and an inverter. The TV will draw between 2-3 amps - none when powered off.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
If you buy a 17 inch screen laptop with Windows Media Center and then install or download NETFLIX and if you dont have a good source for Internet try FOXFI...or get a Dish and Reciever, Ive looked at the Wineguard units, not sure if they are good or bad...Ive got Satellite already so my Reciever/DVR will go in the truck soon...I have a ACER 17 Inch laptop and yes the quality of the video card and its associated capabilitys is important, also getting at least 4 G of ram, I recommend a I5 Processor, and with the 17 inch screen youll have Wide Screen HD on the laptop to....Good sound and External speakers or if your truck has a IPOD input you can plug the computers AUDIO out into the trucks sound and have a HI Quality Home theatre style sound quality although it wont be 5.1 or 7.1 etc....go look on NEW EGG or Tiger Direct for these types of devices etc....or Crutchfield...I primarily use NETFLIX and catch the TV news off my Sat Radio