inverter problem

smokie409

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2000 w inverter. My microwave is 900w I put the microwave on and the inverter squeals and turns off power. I have to switch off and turn on the inverter to get power. What could be the problem?

Monty

Expert Expediter
I can only think of 2 things .....

1. Your inverter is not getting the proper power to it to produce the start wattage to get the microwave up and running. Check the power cables for good connections? A coffee pot, or hair dryer, pulls a lot of wattage also, will the inverter power one of those? If so, it may be the microwave it's self .... ever tried it on a shoer power line?

2. Your battery is not strong enough to power the inverter for what it needs. Have you tried the microwave with the engine running, so the alternator kicks in?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Does the inverter need to be on inorder for the battery to charge?

No it does not. I would go with the other thoughts. Bad ground, bad batteries, alternator too small, wrong gage wires, or the surge from the appliance is higher than the inverter can handle.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I have heard that many inverters require, in addition to the big positive & negative wires, to have their chassis grounded to operate properly. Many have a small terminal for that purpose located any from the big negative terminal. This is all rumor however, and may not be entirely (or even partially) correct.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have a 2000 w inverter. My microwave is 900w I put the microwave on and the inverter squeals and turns off power. I have to switch off and turn on the inverter to get power. What could be the problem?

The problem could be that the microwave's startup draw is much higher than it's 900 watt run draw.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A 900 Watt microwave is almost certainly 900 Watts of output cooking power, but it draws 1400 Watts of power to produce that 900 Watts. Inside the door or on the rear of the microwave there will be a plate that tells the power consumption of the microwave, which is different than the output cooking power.

In either case, the inverter isn't the problem. The problem is the batteries. The batteries are either too small to handle a really large amp draw like 1400 Watts (1400 Watts divided by 12 volts = 116.66 plus 10% for the inverter loss is 128 amps), or their capacity is diminished to the point where the voltage simply drops off too much and too rapidly when such a high amp draw is applied. If the batteries are hybrid batteries (truck or marine) there ya go, as those plates are relatively thin, and are not designed for sustained high amp draws.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I have to ask, is the truck running?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I have heard that many inverters require, in addition to the big positive & negative wires, to have their chassis grounded to operate properly. Many have a small terminal for that purpose located any from the big negative terminal. This is all rumor however, and may not be entirely (or even partially) correct.

Always ground to the frame with adequate size cable. 2ga/1ga, something along that line. Some vans have a rubber pad between the cab and the frame, the factory ground is never enough.

Letzboogie

Not a Member
Sounds like batteries to me too. If you use some sort of battery back up system, try replacing your current batteries with a golf cart battery or batteries. They hold a deeper charge.