Introducing FinanceGuy

FinanceGuy

Active Expediter
Good Morning, my name is Steve Kochensparger and I am the new moderator for the new Finance Forum. I currently manage Expediter Equipment Finance located in Columbus, Ohio.

I have several years of truck and trailer finance experiance and for the past seven years I have specialized in providing financing for owner-operators.

I 2004 I started the Truck & Trailer Financing Program for the OOIDA. At that time OOIDA had 119,000 members. They have now grown to over 160,000 members.

While the recession and the banking crisis have certainly brought some big changes to the truck finance marketplace there are still some good financing options for owner-operator looking to finance expediter equipment.

I would like to hear from you about your recent finance experiences when you purchased your last truck. How did the process go for you? Were you able to find the financing that you needed to purchase the truck that you wanted to buy?

I am looking forward to seeing your truck finance experences and answering any questions that you may have about financing equipment in general.

I am currently planning to answer questions or continue discussions twice a day, early in the morning and again in the late afternoon because I do have a day job - financing trucks.

Have a great day!

FinanceGuy

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Steve,
Welcome.

I wonder if you would like to fill us in on your qualifications and experience in more detail.

AND how do you see the forum as?

Meaning if you expect to see things beyond trucking financing like how to handle everyday expenses or how to deal with business planning?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Other than questions from people who have never financed anything at all, what can people discuss on a public forum about personnel and business situations?? Just curious.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Other than questions from people who have never financed anything at all, what can people discuss on a public forum about personnel and business situations?? Just curious.

There's lots to discuss. The financing environment has changed dramatically over the last 3 years. If you are looking to finance anything over a cargo van - it's a whole new world. My advice for personal information? I would use private messaging to communicate those questions.

FinanceGuy

Active Expediter
Greg,

I have been involved in the world of finance for over 30 years. I have been a investment banker and Certified Financial Planner. For the past 10 years I have been National Sales Manager for an equipment financing company. The last seven years has been primarily devoted to financing trucks and trailers for owner-operators.

I feel it is important to discuss all aspects of the financial side of being an owner-operator so I would be glad to answer any questions about those topics as well. An owner-operator is not just a driver that owns his truck, he or she is a business owner and needs to use all the business tools that are available to him or her.

Purgoose 10,

I very much agree with Larry's post that there is a lot to discuss about how the truck finance business has changed over the past few years.

In fact, experienced owner-operators may need these discussions more than first-time buyers. First-time buyers don't know what to expect while experienced owner-operators may get surprised when they apply to financing and get offered terms not as favorable as the last time, or worse, not get an offer at all.

FinanceGuy

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hi Steve welcome to the forums. We were lucky enough to speak with you at the workshop in Knoxville. I believe you gave the most informative workshop I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. I hope you are planning on holding a workshop at the Expo in Wilmington as well.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good afternoon Finance Guy and all others,
I am looking to purchase a Sprinter Cargo Van and visited my local bank recently to check out their business/commercial loans.
i was told i could finance at 5 1/2 % with 25% down on the Van. This i assume for April 2011 is a common rate, yes.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

Purgoose 10,

I very much agree with Larry's post that there is a lot to discuss about how the truck finance business has changed over the past few years.

In fact, experienced owner-operators may need these discussions more than first-time buyers. First-time buyers don't know what to expect while experienced owner-operators may get surprised when they apply to financing and get offered terms not as favorable as the last time, or worse, not get an offer at all.

I say Uncle,
Yes you are right and I guess I wasn't thinking. For so long I have just called my banker and had a check waiting. But now competition for money vs. equipment is all together different. And yes when you get over the $40k deals it makes a difference. :cool:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Good afternoon Finance Guy and all others,
I am looking to purchase a Sprinter Cargo Van and visited my local bank recently to check out their business/commercial loans.
i was told i could finance at 5 1/2 % with 25% down on the Van. This i assume for April 2011 is a common rate, yes.

This is a question I am curious about also. Previously we checked into buying a straight truck. We were asked if we could put 5000.00 to which we anwsered yes. We were then asked if we owned our home. We do own our home in Kansas outright with no mortgage. (We own our home in Kansas and rent a house in Georgia so that we are in the freight lane) We assume from this question they would want us to put our house up for collateral which we will not do, so we just let it go and did not follow through. I recently spoke with Maniac and his wife, who just purchased a straight truck, they said the truck it's self was the collateral, so then why would they want to know if we own our home or not? I would rather have to put a larger down payment then put my house up for collateral. We are going to buy a truck but have decided to wait until our son is out of college first.

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
So what happened to the finance guy?

I was wondering any opinions on where to buy to get a used van financed?

FinanceGuy

Active Expediter
Good Morning Jim & Shayne:

I am sorry but I never received an e-mail from you that I can find in either of my e-mail accounts. Please resend your original e-mail and I will be glad to answer any questions you may have about truck financing or any other finance topic.

Thanks for your interest in the Finance Forum.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Good Morning Jim & Shayne:

I am sorry but I never received an e-mail from you that I can find in either of my e-mail accounts. Please resend your original e-mail and I will be glad to answer any questions you may have about truck financing or any other finance topic.

Thanks for your interest in the Finance Forum.

25% down for a Tractor is awful steep dont you think.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I definately would like to attened a class at the expo of you are teaching since im so young "22" I have no clue about this subject at all. Ive been trying to get credit started and most places i talk to say im to immature in credit terms to be eligible for a loan or to finance and my credit score as of now is good.?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Mxzane said: I definately would like to attened a class at the expo of you are teaching since im so young "22" I have no clue about this subject at all. Ive been trying to get credit started and most places i talk to say im to immature in credit terms to be eligible for a loan or to finance and my credit score as of now is good.?

Zane, first piece of advice would be to apply for finance from somebody not on EO.

It's "definitely," not definately...another one that boils my potatoes.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Mxzane said: I definately would like to attened a class at the expo of you are teaching since im so young "22" I have no clue about this subject at all. Ive been trying to get credit started and most places i talk to say im to immature in credit terms to be eligible for a loan or to finance and my credit score as of now is good.?

Zane, first piece of advice would be to apply for finance from somebody not on EO.

It's "definitely," not definately...another one that boils my potatoes.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

so you have bake brotatoes then?lol

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
January 26th and no reply from the finance guy??? I know it's our repsonsibilities to check people out, but that being said you mean to tell me any old money loan shark, shyster could open a forum here, and lead more blind sided newbies into the smog filled skies of bankruptcy?
There should be some way that people such as Finance Guy would have to 'prove' their intentions beyond some fancy list of numbers whether they be cell phones, or fax numbers. So easy to be led astray at anytime........

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
January 26th and no reply from the finance guy??? I know it's our repsonsibilities to check people out, but that being said you mean to tell me any old money loan shark, shyster could open a forum here, and lead more blind sided newbies into the smog filled skies of bankruptcy?
There should be some way that people such as Finance Guy would have to 'prove' their intentions beyond some fancy list of numbers whether they be cell phones, or fax numbers. So easy to be led astray at anytime........
Has a point^