International's DT466

ATCO

Expert Expediter
Hello All,
I am looking at an International Truck.
I would like to hear opinions/ideas/suggestions about the DT466
This particular DT466 is a 1995 with all of the 658,000 miles on it. It has never been refreshed, but (according to the owner) been well taken care of. The dealership looked it over and suggested nothing needed to be done to it. The owner says it has a little oil leak, but most likely is do to the truck sitting, and seals are likelly dry. It is mated to a new 6+1 Tranny. Horsepower is currently unknown.

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(Newbie - Researching)

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
With that many miles, the pin is pulled on your grenade! It needs to be overhauled, seriously. The dealer is giving you want you want to hear. How about if they will gaurantee that engine for 100000 miles it might be worth considering, otherwise there are plenty of trucks out there. Keep looking! Power wise, there a bit of a pooch when loaded heavy. You just don't know enough about this truck to make a safe decision. Good luck.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Joe,

I have seen a number of DT466/530 engines with 600K+ miles on them in my past career as a (Professional)truck tech. A couple were in real stout condition, but most were getting tired. If I were in your shoes, I think I would look for a unit that has less miles.

Another thing to consider...'95 was the time when the electronic version of the DT series came out, although a '95 with a mechanical engine is a possibility. The electronic versions are (In MY Opinion) the best medium-duty truck engines on the planet.

Determining which version a truck has is simple...mechanical engines will have an injection pump on the left side of the engine with a fuel line running from the pump to each injector...electronic engines have the injectors under the rocker cover and will have an electrical connector on the left side of the rocker cover.

The company that I drive for has FL series Freightliners with Cat and Cummins engines, M2 series Freightliners with Mercedes engines, and an International 4400 with a DT466. All of the engines are rated at 250HP and are backed up with 6 speed transmissions. Having driven all of them over the same Cleveland,OH to Tullahoma,TN route, I can offer the following observations:

Cat: Good power (will make entire run without downshifting on hills), lousy fuel economy, LOUD...lotsa mechanical noise in cab

Cummins: Decent power (downshifts needed to clear some hills) , better than the Cat on fuel

Mercedes: Good power (infrequent downshifts), fuel economy slightly bertter than the Cummins

International: Good power (no downshifts), fuel economy slightly better than the Mercedes

NOTE: These comparisons were done for my own amusement and are NOT scientific by any stretch of the imagination. The trucks were carrying approx. 8k lbs. and I run 100KPH in OH and the legal limit in KY and TN on cruise control at all possible times. The Cat and Cummins engines have over 300K miles on them and the Mercedes and International have under (just barely) 200K miles.

YMMV

Rex

ATCO

Expert Expediter
>With that many miles, the pin is pulled on your grenade! It
>needs to be overhauled, seriously. The dealer is giving you
>want you want to hear. How about if they will gaurantee that
>engine for 100000 miles it might be worth considering,
>otherwise there are plenty of trucks out there. Keep
>looking! Power wise, there a bit of a pooch when loaded
>heavy. You just don't know enough about this truck to make a
>safe decision. Good luck.

Glen, Others,
Will the fact I'll only be running it in Intrastate (California) with a rough guess at 26,000 to 40,000 miles a year make any defference? Would it be best to put through a overhaul before I really put it to use. I only need it to last me a couple of years?
I have VERY, VERY little to start with, and need it just long enough to build up the business enough to invest in a brand new T300 ;).

Any ideas on costs for Overhaul? New DT466? I appreciate the info, keep it coming.

Also will check to see if it's the electrical or mechanical version in this truck. Would a VIN tell me this info.

I am hoping for a 250HP motor, but the owners info is vague in finding out. He says it'll do 85, no probs. (But will it do more, or is that how hard he ran it?). He says he's getting about 10 mpg. Now I know topend has to do with gearing as well, but off the top of the head does thats sound like a 190HP or 250HP motor? The VIN should tell me that also. The guy ran for Panther II, so do they usually prefer certain things in their trucks?

Thats all the questions I have so far. Keep the info coming!
-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree with most of the others here. The DT466 is a small displacement diesel (7.6L) and if it's not at its rebuild point, it's getting close. It is however one of the least expensive diesels on the market to rebuild or replace. In-frames can be done for under $6k, it's a wet sleeve block that gives you that advantage. Most DT466's are under 250 HP, and the models with electronic fuel injection of that era were designated DT466E. The '95 probably has mechanical fuel injection, and would be of lesser HP. If you can get the serial number of the engine, an International dealer can run it through their computer and tell you all of its sepcs. This is on stamped pads on both the right and left side of the engine block, and will also be on the emissions label on the rocker cover, if the label still exists.
My father runs a newer Int 4300 with DT466 215 HP mated to Allison auto on a C unit, and the power isn't breathtaking, but acceptable and it has been reliable thus far.

-Weave-

ATCO

Expert Expediter
It's mechanical, so what exactly does this mean? what types of problems will I likely run into with a Mechanical vs. electronic?

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(New B, Researching)

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Joe,

As others have said you really need to walk away from this truck. It is due just about anytime now for overhaul.

When I was hauling cars out of the big auto auction in Bel Air, MD there were 5 DT466 powered 4 car haulers in the fleet. Decent truck with good lifespan. Those guys ran the tar outta those trucks. Most needed work between 450K and 500K miles. Inframe overhaul was not too expensive. The only problems I can remember with the mechanical DT's were injector pumps. I left there when the first of the DT466E powered carriers were being bought.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Either run from the truck, or pay a amount low enough to justify a engine overhaul. The company I am with has a 97 that just turned 675,000 miles with out a overhaul, but *EVERY* driver that drives it complains that it is a gutless wonder and will lose 15-25 MPH on a hill with your foot flat on the floor. I would stay away from anything that is not a E motor (It will say DT466E on the hood) the computer controled one should eeek out better MPG's. Overall the 466 is a good motor, it always starts and has alright power, but once they get up there in miles they become painfully under powered. I think the best you can get out of a 466 is 200 HP maybe a bit more. The 6+1 transmission helps but I have not heard really good things about it. There is one in one of our trucks that has 350,000 on it and we call it a grind box, because no matter what you do, it grinds in to gear. This could be due to the people that drive the truck as well. I will say this, at least in the truck that it is in (I am not sure of the rear ratio) it is geared just perfect and that truck will haul with out troubles. Of course, it is mated to a fresh DT466.. BTW I was told the overhaul on the engine cost 7000 dollars.

aardvarkman

Expert Expediter
joe'
like some have said - run from this one unless the price is REALLY right - almost nothing. the average 466 will run 450 - 550k befor needing a rebuild @ about $7k. however, the injection pump which is mechanical is very expensive to have rebuilt or replaced. and they usually don't last as long as the engine. you say that you only want to keep it a few years until you can buy a new kw - that may not be possible if you are putting large sums into it for repairs each year. it would be better if you could get the new one now before the new emission regs come into play. it isn't just the cost of repairs, it's also the down time and reliability factor. people don't want to use you if you can't be reliable with your deliveries. good luck.