International Trucks as D-Units? Any Experiance?

G

Anyone out there have any experience with International / Navistar straight trucks as D-Units?

I've seen a couple; one was a 1999 built on the International 4700 frame. The other was a brand-new International 8100. The both were single-axle D-Units and had 72" stand-up sleepers, 22 or 24' X 102" X 102" boxes.

I've seen ads for others, new and used. These sported an International 275 HP engine (Vs a CAT or Cummins).

Actually, these Internationals looked really nice, but I never got close enough to look inside at the cab.

I'd be interested in any reports and how they stack-up against the traditional FL70 "Alumi-Bunk" D-Unit price-wise. I bet they're cheaper???

Husker 1

G

I am currently looking at 4900 with DT530,300hp,950ftlb,10spd and 3:36 rear ratio.Alum wheels,tilt wheel,top level interior,60"Rhodes sleeper,24" morgan box.Will have quote in few days.Only complaints Ive heard is seat is all way back if you are over 5'8", and short on leag room to stretch.I am 5'11" 240lb, could use more wheel room.Heard nothing bad about engine.Pluses are number of dealers. You can get in for repaires quicker than Freightliner.Parts availability,Resale.from what I understand the DT530 shines above the CAT 3126 300hp 850ftlb

G

Thanks for the reply!

I'm really interested in your impression of the inside of the cab compaired to, say, an FL70 (other than the seat-room aspect that you already mentioned).

Better or Worse:
* Instrumentation
* Lighting
* Niceities (cup holders, etc.)
* Noise level at cruise
* Storage (in cab, not sleeper)
* Etc.

Any idea on fuel mileage compaired to a Cummins 300 in an FL70?
Next, what's the difference between the 4900 and 8100?

If the dealer/salesman you're working with has an 1-800, be interested in that, too.

THANKS!

Looking forward to your reply after you get your quote.

Husker 1

G

mla
The rear frame on the Morgan box is made for roll-up doors. If you
configure it with swing (barn) doors you will still only a 94" wide
opening. If your company carries Assembly line parts racks that are
96" long, you will only be able to load 3 racks, on the floor, providing
you actually have 24 feet instead ov 23'11". In that case you can only
load 4 on the floor.If you need to have the full 97" opening, in order
to load 5 racks on the floor, then I suggest you research, Supreme,
Kidron, Alumibunk, or other companies that offer full width opening,
and whose lengths are as advertised, or 1 to 2 inches longer.
I discoveded this when, after stacking, the first two racks, I couldn't
load the third one and close the door of my 15' 11" Morgan box.
My current Morgan box was ordered with extended frame actual length is
16' 1 1/2"
When you research a box, be sure to consider maximum loadability.
Do the math for 96"x57" and 48"x48" skids.
Ask your dealer to give you all information, based on inches, instead
of feet. If you visit a dealer, be sure you take a measuring tape.

Drive Safely
Joe

Subject : International Trucks as D-Units? Any Experiance? Author : mlaDate : 1/10/00 7:01:42 AM

joe:Morgan model #gfd-103-24-102 wide is 24ft F.R.P..Inside length is 24'1";Outside length is 24' 5-5/8"; Inside width is 100"; Outside width is 102";Inside height is 102-3/4". I have a quote of approx $10000, which includes s.s.back frame,front corners and top,translucent roof with 3 lights,barn doars and chain type tie downs mounted in floor to haul coils,lift trucks,auto's etc.Side panels are 5/8" core white gelcoat F.R.P. exterior panels

G

joe:Morgan model #gfd-103-24-102 wide is 24ft F.R.P..Inside length is 24'1";Outside length is 24' 5-5/8"; Inside width is 100"; Outside width is 102";Inside height is 102-3/4". I have a quote of approx $10000, which includes s.s.back frame,front corners and top,translucent roof with 3 lights,barn doars and chain type tie downs mounted in floor to haul coils,lift trucks,auto's etc.Side panels are 5/8" core white gelcoat F.R.P. exterior panels

G

Don't know if this will help, New York State DOT uses corn binders on hiway maint (whats yellow & blue and sleeps six?). They hold up very well to the daily abuse, engines/ drive trains geneally bulletproof. My friend is a mechanic for DOT.

G

Husker;I have bad news for you.Dont take my word for it take a test drive for yourself.I just drove new 4900 with DT530,300hp,950ftlb,33000gvw.I then went across to test drive GMC T8500,300hp CAT 3126, 860ftlb,9 speed.I was amazed in the difference. On the IH I am 5'11" I had no stomach room and seat was all way back against back of cab.Only negative thing I see with the GMCis the dog house.Rhodes rambler makes a sleeper with full length side door that you can walk in without hitting bed.

G

MTL, You mentioned the Rhodes Rambler sleeper, got any contact info for them?

Thanks

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rhodes Rambler is in Bowling Green KY. 1-270-842-6886, Jim and Betty Coles are the owners. They build a nice budget sleeper,doesn!t have all the bells and whistles that Alum Bunk has but a lot cheaper.However Jim prefers to deal only with Truck dealers and not individuals.But he will send you information and price lists and if you experience problems down the road they are very good in resolving them..

G

Thanks for the quick comeback with that phone number, Rich. I couldn't find it in any on-line phone books, guess I had it spelt wrong. <G> The wife and I are in the process of specing a new truck and we've pretty well decided on a "Binder" 4700, since we prefer the ergonomic aspects of the cab as well as their reputation.

BTW: How does the Roades sleeper hold up under use? We saw one a couple years ago and it looked pretty solid, even if not all that posh. Do they also install? How about boxes?