International ProStar vs. Pete 387

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Looking into buying a truck to run as an E-unit. I've looked at a ProStar and a Pete 387. Both have Cummins engines. The only real difference is the International has a 9 speed, which I'll have converted to a 13, and the Pete has a straight 10. Just curios what you guys thought about these two truck models.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I'm a fan of the prostar, I worked at a ready-mix place in ill and we ran all international fleet, never any major issues and great fuel mileage from what I recall.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The 13 speed will be a better transmission but the Cummins motor can be a deal breaker so I would be concerned about either. I would go to a dealer with the VIN and see if a lot of work was done to indicate a problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I appreciate it. The main reason I'm looking at a Cummins is due to the fact that Detroit's are weak IMO and can't hardly pull a hill with a load on. I haul a lot of loads in the 44k-46k lb range.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome back Joe! Looks like you're back on the road. How goes it?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Just working hard and sometimes hardly working. I had a driver wreck my baby (KW) and it hasn't been right since. He ran it off the road. I had to get a new grill, headlights, bumper, side skirts down both sides, and he knocked the battery box out from under it. Then he just packed his stuff and high tailed. I'll never own more than what I can drive again. If I get crazy like that again I'm driving the newer truck lol.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I appreciate it. The main reason I'm looking at a Cummins is due to the fact that Detroit's are weak IMO and can't hardly pull a hill with a load on. I haul a lot of loads in the 44k-46k lb range.

If its an ISX Cummins........run Forrest run.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Cummins N14, ISM and ISC are great engines. However the ISX is a dog. Its been pleaged with major EGR problems from the onstart. Should be able to google " ISX problems " and get some detailed info, or some of the big truck sites also. Its had some major cam problems also.

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Could the N-14 be maybe the finest truck engine built in our era ?
The series 60 being a close second. I bought 5 series 60 in a row.
Frtlnr got involved and screwed me on a common warranty issue. Told me they would have covered it in a Century but not in my 2001 Western Star !
They guy may have been kidding, I don't know. Have not bought a Detroit since.