International 4400 won't start right away?

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Hey everybody, quick question for all of you.

I own a 2004 International 4400, and every now and then after shutting it down for whatever reason, when I go to start it back up, it will not start. There will be a clicking sound under the hood inside the fuse box, but it isn't trying to turn over or truly try starting at all. If I just let it sit there anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, it will just start right up.

Has anybody had this problem, or know what could cause it? I was thinking it could be those circuit breakers inside the fuse box for starter, cec power module....?

And I know for a fact it isn't a dead battery because it always starts after a while. I hope someone knows what's going on, thanks everybody.

Sent from my rooted DroidX running official Froyo, using Tapatalk!

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Do you have any other electrical symptoms that are ignition switch related? Has it ever not wanted to turn off electrical power to the gages after failing to start? If so, maybe just an ignition switch. Might crawl underneath and check for any loose cables to the starter. Also may have something to do with the starter bypass switch, whatever it's called, that prevents the starter spinning while the motor's running.
Sometimes I have been able to confirm my shade tree diagnostics by calling a service advisor and explaining my issue. Many times they will tell you if your issue is common on your model and what it takes to repair. Good luck, let us know what u find out.

Retidepxe

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like a starter issue. Check the cable to the starter and make sure its all tight.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
clicking sound I believe is a hot relay. It's the small silver looking fuses in the box. They get hot and won't kick back.

That is just with the key in the on position. If your starting it and get clicking its the starter.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have a dumb question, when you turn the key and try to start it, do you have the lights go through their check cycle or are there no lights?

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
I will try answering all your questions at once.

There appear to be no other electrical problems. Gauges and everything function accordingly.

The clicking sound is coming from the fuse box, but only when it is attempting to be started. Not when the key is in the on position. Also, when in the fuse box, the relays are black, not silver, and the ones labeled stater, and power module, do feel hot. (the way the timing works out, it does seem like they cool down for ten minutes or so, then start right up)

And before I attempt starting the truck, I do in fact let the checks go through their process. I'm not sure what you are referring to with lights, but the gauges are working as
would be expected at all times.

Does all that make anything clearer?

Also, someone point me in the direction of the starter for this truck, and I well have no problems getting under there and checking connections. I have already checked all the battery connections, they all check out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like a ground problem but I would haul it into an International dealer, pay the $200 to have it fixed.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Might have to. The timing is always the worst, yet I know its always going to stay back up.

Probably will get it fixed when the time is right.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It sounds like it is the starter solenoid which usually means you are replacing the starter as well since they come as one unit the majority of the time.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
It sounds like it is the starter solenoid which usually means you are replacing the starter as well since they come as one unit the majority of the time.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Any idea how much that runs for install and all?