International 4300- Reports

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My father will be picking up his brand new custom made International 4300 18' C unit next week. Tricked out nicely with 215 HP DT466, air brakes and ride, Allison automatic, and the extended cab with small sleeper. Look for some reports on this ride!
-Weave-

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I, for one, will be looking forward to your updates Weave. Those are nice looking trucks, better lines than the new Freightliner M2, in my opinion, and I'll be interested in seeing how he likes it, and how it performs in comparison to the older ones which I have driven, and wasn't impressed with.
Dreamer

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
He might find that 215 HP will be a little short. But yes, i'll be looking forward to some eval.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This is his retirement truck. He mostly only carries 6 or fewer pallets under 10k lbs, so the C unit is fine. He did want a little more than the 215 HP, but would have had to move up to the larger Allison tranny at much greater cost. Other choice was M2, but International had higher quality in comparison, better resale value, and the tried and true DT466 wet sleeve engine I feel is a better investment than parent bore throw away Mercedes engine. Planning of truck build was very well thought out.
-Weave-

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Oh goodie, another retirement truck. Me too. Make sure he starts out on the right foot with 6 golf balls in each 22 incher.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No golf balls, just a factory balance:D (Couldn't choose between top flites or titlists)- Picture of 4300..
-Weave-

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's just a 30" (I think) bunk that is part of the integral extended cab 4300. There is storage underneath the bed. It is a simple working accomidation for a solo driver who only stays out 7-10 days at a time- its really all you need for that, wasn't built as a truck to live in for months at a time.
-Weave-

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Factory balance???? You might have gotten yourself a Friday built
truck. First thing you wanna do is get it laser aligned before
you make a run. Can't believe how far off they are after you install
a box, even on a wednesday built truck. And don't forget, six per
twenty two incher.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I totally agree with you on the alignment thing. When I first started running my Freightliner Columbia I had it checked, and it was way off. I am just relpacing its original Michelin steer tires now, with 170k on them, I didn't think that was too bad.
-Weave-

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I am Weave's dad known to some as the Mudflap. As a follow-up to some of the dialog on this posting - The truck was cobbled together to meet my specific needs. As 90+ percent of the freight I haul is less than five thousand pounds and less than eight pallets, the "C" unit with the 18 foot box seemed ideal. I did size the box with 98 inches between the walls so that I could accept eight of the 48x48 automotive pallets. With 140 gallons of fuel on board I can take about 10,500 pounds. Remember, under 26,000 gross no IFTA hassle.
Also at about 30 feet overall length it's a lot better city truck than the 39' FL-70. I like to run 10 or 11 days and be home 3 or four so the 26" bunk is not a problem, If I get laid over for a weekend with no freight its into the nearest truckers hotel.

So far (3500 miles) I am impressed with the truck. With 7.6 liter DT 466 AND the automatic tranny the truck performs just about the same as my old FL-70 with an 8.3 Cummins with a 6 speed. As Weave commented this truck was about 1 year in the planning stages before I signed the dotted line and it really is meeting my needs. If you are thinking new truck take a pencil and paper and jot down what you need. It might be something entirely different than what I ended up with.

One closing remark, the resale market for used expedite trucks sucks as the big boys won't sign you on if your equipment is more than five years old. If and when I sell the new baby it can go into the used marketplace as a straight truck with an extended cab. Also the International has the highest reasle value for class 7 vehicles.

Happy trails ------------- MUDFLAP

American Flyer

Expert Expediter
>My father will be picking up his brand new custom made
>International 4300 18' C unit next week. Tricked out nicely
>with 215 HP DT466, air brakes and ride, Allison automatic,
>and the extended cab with small sleeper. Look for some
>reports on this ride!
>-Weave-

I took delivery on my 03 4300 in Jul 02 and now have 135k miles on it. I too have only an 18' box (which is my only regret, 20' next time), however the size hasn't really slowed me down I run as a D unit with Landstar. The truck has 230hp engine with a 6 speed Eaton and hy brakes. I put a 48" double Eagle sleeper on, which is lightweight and comforable for a single driver, like Mudflap I only stay out a week or so at a time.
Up to this point the only maintenance problem has been the fuel sensors in the tanks, I have replaced 3, a manufacters defect that according to Intl' has been corrected.
Overall I have been very pleased with this truck, under 26000 not only no IFTA but no apportioned plates (I hate regulation and taxes more than jock itch). It has performed very well and has been economical to opperate what else can I say!
If ya see me out there on the high & lonesome say hey, I'm hard to miss my cab is black over red with a stainless steel box.
-mark-

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Funny you should mention it, AF- the only initial problem my father had with the 4300 was a mis-threaded air drain valve. He had the truck in for a repair last week for a faulty fuel sensor, same problem you have been having. Was happy to be in and out of International dealer in 40 minutes though with problem corrected, hopefully they have found a permanent fix.
-Weave-

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
You guys are really making me think about one of these trucks! I've been considering the idea of a C unit for just those reasons... no fuel tax, no high plate, and easier parking in my drive.... hmmm... now to find someone who'll finance....

:) :) :)